MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

The impulsive turkey

Suz

Snowmom mentioned potpie the other day so I had to go buy a turkey and the Blue book.

Umm yeah ok, now what? Can I roast the turkey, eat what we want and can the rest? What happens when you process what is technically now leftovers? Overcooked/mush/cremated etc?

How about I roast it and when its 2/3's done ala blue book I wack a bunch off to can? Someone please help me with the canning the leftover thing as I also have a pork butt waiting to be pulled and CANNED. (I know, newbies, what can I say except I'm eager? LOL) bounce

(refusing to invite inlaws over to help me eat my impulse turkey so please help me wrap the little bit left of my mind around this one)

Meat won't get mushy if you can it as a leftover. I've done that many times with beef stew and other things.

The processing in the canner will be done in a liquid so that helps the meats to not dry to leather.

turkey update:

its been languishing in the fridge thawing out, now its crunch time and i'm feeling seriously lazy and might cave and invite the inlaws. Will keep you posted

Archived