MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Canners safe for glass top stoves

Lissalue

I am sure this has been posted before, but I couldn't find it, so I am going to ask again.

I am looking to buy a pressure canner (thanks Darlene wink ) but I have a glass top stove, so I am unsure of what kind ot get that would be safe to use on it. any help is greatly appreciated.

I got a Presto canner precisely because it is suitable for smooth cooktops. It is aluminum, so it is lighter in weight ( full canners are very heavy!) and it has a special bottom so that the only part in actual contact with the stovetop is within the burner circle.

I love my canner. I use it for both pressure and water-bath canning. It works great!

Presto says the 23 quart pressure canner can be used in home canning on ceramic/glass top stoves. As long as you have a burner on the stove that is either a 7", 8" or 9" burner, then it will be safe to use that size canner because the bottom plate circumference is 8" on the 23 quart canner.

I'm so glad someone brought this up. I have an older Presto 17 quart canner and a glass top stove. I haven't canned since I got the stove and was somewhat concerned. The way the Presto is constructed, though, with the bottom plate being about the same size as the burner, made me feel like it would be okay. So glad to find confirmation. smile

Well, my buying is being postponed. I am watching one on ebay, it ends tomorrow, so I am waiting to see if I can get a good deal before I go t wal-mart.

I am still looking at presto, but I also checked out mirro and they are safe for use on glass too, at least the one I am looking at is.

Hopefully I will be able to report something really great tomorrow! cross you fingers for me!

I did a thread on canning with a ceramic top stove. It's probably a few pages back as I started pressure canning sometime in March. I bought 23-quart Presto and it works great. You may have to fiddle with your temperature setting; I start on the highest and go down gradually to to medium-high setting. Also, the burner I thought I'd be using cycles off and on too much so I ended up using a smaller burner that still fits the lower bottom portion of the canner. This smaller burner stays at a more even heat. You have to "know" your stove.

HTH, Ginny

Archived