MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

My Idiot Moment for today

MommyofSeven

OK...our plans got thrown up in the air and I had to scramble for dinner, cause we weren't supposed to be here. So I figure we'll have salsa mac and cheese. Can do plain mac and cheese for hte littles and stir in the spicy meat mixture for everyone else.

So I finish up stuff in the kitchen and get ready to chop the green chiles. I do the deed, which takes work because they have thawed more than I want them to so they are a "chewy" consistency instead of half frozen. So I have chile oil all over my hands. I tell DH that I am going in to sit on the puter while it fades cause I can't touch the kiddoes, and if I'm in any other part of the house and standing still for 3 seconds, one of them needs me for something.

I wash my hands with soap...twice. I come in and sit down to read here and update my blog. Reading some posts and feel something in my eye. Reach up to rub my eye, and suddenly my eye is on fire! Ummm, duh!

I feel really stupid...and in pain right now LOL.

Mo7

I had burning hands for a day once. frown

Never got it near my eyes, though, because I remembered my Mom and her friend giggling over the friend's hubby. I guess he had to go to the bathroom halfway through the hot pepper prep... eek

rofl, yes, I was dreading the bathroom trip, but it all turned out OK.

I guess freezing the chiles with skin on (was in a hurry)intensifies the oils, cause I rubbed my eyes at BEDTIME and they burned a small bit.

Mo7

It used to be when I chopped hot chiles that my hands would burn for 2 or 3 days. I have really fragile skin on my hands and it was so bad. Noow I wear a pair of those disposable rubber gloves. No more problems. Try that. Katmom

I've done the burning thing too Mo7 but never in the eyes. Wow, that had to be miserable.

I'll admit my hands hurt for 2 or 3 days but I only did it once. Guess it was just one of those lessons I had to learn by doing not by listening to others.

Glad you're better! bighug

Archived