MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Alaska Experiment

Did anybody watch the Alaska Experiment on Discovery?

They were showing the participants canning salmon and the pressure canner they used was quite nice. Some of them didn't get good seals on their jars and lost a lot of salmon.

My question is if they failed to get a good seal once couldn't they rejar it and try again or is it lost forever?

The show was quite good. It took ordinary city types and threw them into the wildest of wild Alaska and they had to survive on what they gathered. They were provided with shelter, water source, some tools and a guidebook. They had professional hunters guide them on a hunt for meat and they had experienced people off camera ready to step in if needed. Some of them made some very stupid mistakes that in actuality would have killed them eventually, but overall some of them did very well.

I wanted to take the two sisters aside and slap them silly for the way they treated their father, but even they changed after a while.

Interesting show.

It's been a fun show, Bear. I'm from the KCMO area originally and it was fun watching them go at it...

As to the re-canning the jars of salmon, I believe YES you can reprocess them. You have to do it for the full time again, and at the proper pressure, but as long as you cleaned the rims off and the lid seals too, it should reprocess fine. If I'm mistaken, Darlene will correct me. wink

As annoying as the KC sisters were in the beginning, at least they were not squeamish-oooh guns are evil-meat comes from the store & killing animals is wrong- types...I was about ready to smack the treehugging metrosexual trio to death!

OMB, they can reprocess it, although fish requires an exceptionally long time for processing. Any number of reason could account for the lack of seal on the jars so I'd hafta see the show to know better.

It sounds like a kewl show though...will they be showing it again?

I watched several of the episodes. I like all those kinds of shows.

The thing that amazed me was that the people had no clue about guns. In the one episode, the one guy took a shot at a bison with a .22??? In another, the couple that was dating had a wolf nosing around. The guy asked for his .22 to take care of the wolf.

Darlene - Discovery is replaying it now and then. Worth a watch. Thanks for the information on the canning. The show didn't actually show much of the process. They had good looking pressure canner and plenty of jars. One couple didn't set the seals well and "lost" most of their salmon supply.

Vic - Yes that trio was irritating. It was that bunch that took the .22 and fired at the bison at what looked like 300 yards and expected it to drop in its tracks. Then they left a perfectly supplied cabin that had food and firewood that they worked hard to get and hiked up to the smaller cabin and mooched on the others meager supplies. I was impressed with the expedient "fix" on the saw handle they broke. The one KC sister was ready to go on the moose hunt. I thought she shot well with that big 338.

Fritz - Yeah the Davy Krickett rifle .22 was a joke to leave them. They bring them .338 magnums for the hunting trips and leave them with .22's in Grizzly Bear country. I bet the .338's were with the film crews.

PoGo - YW

I just watched the 1st episode last night. I missed it the first time around. I also set up the box to tape them all. So I'll follow through the whole series as I get a chance. It's not a bad series.

OMB, I'm sure that the camera crew had plenty of fire power incase one of those brown bears decided to have a snack of the contestants. (or whatever you would call them)

I watched the show on the computer, on discovery.com;

I loved it! It was fascinating to watch everyday people adapt and adjust to some of the most difficult circumstances possible. Simply trying to survive.

I had talked about this show in a coping skills thread and I hope anyone who can watch it do so.

Thank you so much for this link. We found it and my kids spent an entire morning watching all four shows. They were mesmerized (partly because we don't have television, partly because this was replacing math, but mostly because this was just so cool to them!)

I was telling my husband how hilarious the part where the yuppy guy with the really great dreadlocks shot the gun was.

I don't know much about guns. Have never held one in my life (came from a family that was anti-gun, anti-hunt simply because my dad couldn't kill an animal and feel good about it. He was a man's man, a carpenter, but couldn't do this. LOL)

Anyway, I knew nothing about guns, and this guy brings up the gun, and all my kids cringe. I'm like, "What? It's ok, guys. He has a professional helping him."

And then the gun went off, and my kids were like "OW!" and laughing and hooting. It was incredible! All 6 of them knew exactly what was coming. I don't know if it was how the guy was holding the gun or because it was his first time, but all my kids saw it coming and laughed so hard that it was someone other than themselves. rofl

Each one of them have been knocked back by a gun when their dad took them out the first time. And two of them sported cuts for a while on their foreheads from...whatever that's called when the scope smacks you.

I told my husband I guess it was time I joined the crowd, and we spend a few date nights at the firing range. The way he looked at me when I said that was exactly like he used to look at me before we were married.

smile

Originally Posted By: Shurleen
I told my husband I guess it was time I joined the crowd, and we spend a few date nights at the firing range. The way he looked at me when I said that was exactly like he used to look at me before we were married.

smile
rofl You go girl!! banana

Did y'all catch the final follow-up episode? The folks in the wall-tent quit their jobs and are moving to AK, the married couple (who had the visitors) are expecting a baby, and......

The producers announced they are taking applications for Season 2!

Archived