MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

black walnuts???

A friend brought me 4 tow-sacks full of black walnuts.....they still have the "husk" on them.....needless to say, I need the quickest way to get these husk off. I would just throw them out onto the driveway, but know the squirrels will start "prepping"...lol! I have heard of people putting them into the tow-sacks and running over "them" with their vehicles. Anybody else out there got any experience with this or other ideas?

We always put them in feed sacks and ran the car over them a few times.

You need to remember to put on gloves and old clothes (or at least scratch a bar of soft soap) before you work with them.

That's interesting whitewolf...I wonder where they got them. My trees don't drop the nuts till the fall. Lik eambergris said, I just drive over the hulls after I've let them dry, but they will stain.

I agree... it's AWFULLY early for walnuts!

Split one open before messing with them too much. I suspect they aren't well-developed inside. Maybe the tree was stressed and dropped them too early. shrug

Update: Welllllll.....hubby and I went out and broke open a few (6). Excellent condition and taste. We are ASSUMING these were from last year. I will have to find out for sure.....and where he kept them. The husk are completely dryed. So if they are from last fall, we have found out that black walnuts will stay "fresh" in the shell for "at least" several months. Never really thought about it. But that's what this site is all about I guess, finding out about this type of things. Will update IF they turns out to be a larger percentage bad than good.

I would appreciate that info whitewolf. As I said, I have a couple of huge trees and it would be nice to know how long they will stay fresh without cracking them.

Very informative wormguy...thanks. These still have the husk on, so like I said I will see what comes of them. As for keeping in freezer, I found a bag of black walnuts in the bottom of my freezer this spring that was put up in 2004....I figured they wouldn't be any good, but they are fine....so they will keep several years in the freezer. Thanks for the info.....guess I will put these in several tow-sacks and let hubbys men (he is a county supervisor and the shop in behind our house) drive the big trucks over them to get rid of the husk. Will get back with you Darlene about the results.

When my husband was six, his mother was told the liquid from the husks would kill his "sandworm" meaning a critter that had burrowed under his skin from foot to upper, inner thigh. Very high upper, inner thigh. She smeared him but good. Unhappiness ensued.

Wear your gloves.

Archived