MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Canning/Headspace Questions

Jules

I did a small practice batch canning small ground beef patties that were pan fried.

After processing, there is an alarming amount of headspace left.

When I filled the jars (quart sized) I had about 3/4 to 1" of headspace. After processing I'd say that there is nearly 2" of headspace now. confused

I did only two jars, I am loath to waste money from having to throw something out so I like trying with little batches. Both are sealed very tight, and have about 1/3 to 1/2" of fat in the jar on top of the patties. I did all I could to get rid of the fat, but it's the huge headspace the concerns me.

How did I get so much headspace?

Why was the small amount of water left in the canner so oily?

(Even the jars are greasy, they were clean when I filled and sealed them)

Four pounds of ground beef made enough patties to pack two jars very well. I added a little canning salt, and filled the jar with very hot water, wiped clean and placed the lid and ring. I must be measuring the headspace wrong? I thought that the distance from the top of the jar to the top of the liquid is the headspace. Is that wrong?

I actually rinsed the patties after frying with hot water. After draining on paper towels, is there any other method to get rid of more grease? Is 1/3 to 1/2" too much fat on top?

Sorry for all the questions, I really appreciate all the help. smile

The fat layer will be OK. Yes,judge the headspace by the threads on the canning jars. That is how we teach people to do it.

I also like to rinse meats off with water when I cook them. I feel it does a better job than just paper towels. Besides, I am trying to cut way down on my paper towel use.

You had some siphoning of the liquid either due to fluctuation in pressure too quickly in the canner, or you did not allow the jars to sit in the canner for 10 min. after the pressure dropped and you removed the weight. That will help with siphoning problems, as well. That is the new guideline. Let the jars sit in the pressure canner for 10 min. after the pressure has dropped and you remove the weight. Then remove the lid and the jars. It also helps so you don't risk breakage from thermal shock due to the difference in the jar temp. and the air temp. or even the temperature of the counter. Some people are not so careful and try to sit their jars in a draft or on a cold counter.

This is how you learn. Keep asking away. We want you to be successful.

They are fine to store and eat. The tops may turn darker than the rest. Personally, I would eat them rather soon just so they don't darken.

Thanks Violet, I worry about jar breakage (little kids around) so I let the jars sit in the canner much longer than the ten minute period. I guess that means the pressure needs to be kept at a more steady measure.

I set them on a terry cloth towel on the counter.

I will try again, and try to keep the pressure more even.

Pressure canning is just not something to rush. smile

I can do this!

I would not let them sit longer. If you do, at that point thermal loving bacteria can grow. The jars will sit in the temperature danger zone too long before they are sealed and cooled. One thing, too, never leave them overnight in a canner. This is a common question and I like to remind people about that.

I know of folks wo did that. Some have had their canners permanently sealed and they had to throw the canner away, along with the jars inside. It makes a reverse vacuum.

Originally Posted By: Violet
Some have had their canners permanently sealed and they had to throw the canner away, along with the jars inside. It makes a reverse vacuum.

Huh? I am confused, Violet. When you lift the weight off the vent stem, the pressure automatically equalizes if no heat is applied...I can't understand how a vacuum would remain in the canner itself (the jars, I can understand). I can understand that a metal-on-metal canner (like the AA's) can suffer basically metal bonding between like metals which is why they suggest foodgrade grease on the mating surface. But a vacuum remaining in the canner???

Yes, a lady who is taking our food preservation classes had it happen to her. Had to throw the entire canner away. It does happen. No amount of heating or anything would open it back up.

I have heard of others this happened to, as well. This says very difficult to remove. Well, our extension educator says it can take cutting it off with a metal saw, but what would be the point ? It would be ruined no matter what.

From Colorado State :

Open lid carefully and slowly lift it off away from the body. (If canner sets too long after pressure has gone down, a reverse vacuum can form, making it very difficult to remove.

I don't know how it can happen either. You'd think when you take the weight off, the seal would be broken because the the vent would be open allowing air to go in.

However, I've had my canner sit a long time after it was done and I had a horrible time getting the lid off. In fact, I wasn't sure It was going to come off. After it was room temp, I still couldn't get it off. I even ran cold water over it. My husband finally got it off but not without a lot of muscle.

Here is what I think might have happened. A seal formed between the lid, pan and gasket. The lid has a lip that the gasket sits in and the same lipped lid attaches onto the pan. I think that is where the seal happened, not in the pan itself, and no air could get in between the gasket and the lid/pan area. As the canner cooled down, the gasket contracted onto the two surfaces. I could be totally wrong!

By the way, I wasn't canning in the canner. I was pressure cooking corned beef.

Waves to Lady Violet!

Jeepers, you are correct - you described a reverse vacuum. This can happen in any high pressure system - either a pressure cooker or canner.

I just borrowed a friend's large 7 qt mirro pressure canner while I am waiting for my pressure canner parts to arrive. I wasn't prepared for how HEAVY this can be when full! I was ultra paranoid with the first batch (I've never pressure-canned before but have used a pressure cooker!) but the second and third batches were a breeze, now I feel like an old pro!

Taking the Extension Service Food Safety and Canning class was an excellent choice! I learned so much beyond water bath canning, not to mention, got some great recipies!

Archived