MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Storing zucchini and other squash questions

I have a ? on dehydrating the yellow summer squash. Has anyone ever tried flavoring it before drying? I was thinking a smear of key lime juice on top with a smidgen of salt on top? I want to use them for a snack since I like to just eat them raw in salads or by themselves. Does anyone think that would work?

Violet...my zucchini relish is almost them same as yours except the dry mustard I substitute with mustard seed the same amount and drop the tumeric and ginger. Just made a batch this week-end and DH is just now, after three years figuring out that it isn't the same as store bought and has no cukes in it lol! It's really easy to make and it takes longer to get it all shredded than it does to cook and process it. Just love it!

Q

Thanks for posting the relish recipe, I would love to try this, but I have a major dilema, I am diabetic and can't have that much sugar in a recipe, I'm sure the sugar acts as a preservative, but do you think Splenda would do the same or could you omit the sugar?

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks,

mrsb3

I knew reading all your posts, recipes ect. would get me in trouble one day. Who negelected to tell me that when you shred a zucchini it doubles in size??? I had three that grew a little bigger than we like and the shredder was beside the sink.One zucchini filled 2 1/2 trays on my dehydrator! I had to borrow my sisters and filled 10 shelves with grated zucchini by the time I was done. The small ones can be sliced easily and dehydrated, but you can bet I'm going to keep a closer eye on those plants.

• 1 year later...

Thank you ladies, for the great suggestions.

May I ask what you eat zucchini relish with? I had never heard of it before.

My zucchini plants are producing like crazy. I'm making bread and dehydrating chips right now.

I am interested to know if any of you have a spice mix you would use to dredge squash slices in for dehydrating and eating as chips?

If you do, could you please post it here? Thankyou! Barbeque, sourcream and onion mixes preferred!

Cala Vasitas

3-4 Zucchini, sliced

1/2 onion, saute' with 1/2 tsp salt until opaque.

Stir 1/2 Cup diced pealed tomatoes to hot onions.

Add zucchini, 1 cup corn and 1 tbs of tomato bullion. Then add enough water to barely cover squash.

Simmer until soft. Sprinkle 2 cups of shredded cheddar or longhorn cheese on top and serve.

(Measurements can be increased/decreased to taste.)

Archived