MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What meals do you can?

ndbeckner1

With all the economic stuff going on; My dh and I came up with an "eventuality" plan in where one of the things we will let slide (worst case scenario) would be our electric bill. IN order to do that, I need to have a good bit of my stuff canned so as to not need the freezer as much. I would like to be able to do this also to see if I can dump the freezer. I was wondering if you guys have any canning recipes for meals. Thanks for any help.

Diane

I can veggie soup and I plan to can some sloppy joes this year. I can a lot of spaghetti sauce too. I use angel hair pasta and it cooks very fast...much faster than even the 'thin spaghetti'

By the way, I don't can the spaghetti with the spaghetti sauce!

You can can meat up as well. Things like ground browned hb meat for adding to casseroles, smallish chunks of meat for stews, thin slices like a roast to heat in gravy. Even meatballs to add to gravy or a tomatoe based sauce or smallish hb patties that have been browned before canning

I can two kinds of meat balls, regular meatballs for spaghetti or whatever and large spicy meatballs. I use the spicy meatballs for meatball subs and for slicing as a topping for pizza. I also can meatball stew and beef stew. I like to thicken the beef stew with gravy and use it for filling in baked acorn squash topped with cheese when the squash is done. Canned chicken soup is good served over baking powder biscuits or baked over the biscuits and topped with a thin layer of cheese.

Archived