MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Cereal Killers

Aint2nuts

Last year I was infested with a bunch of cereal killers and I had to throw them away. (Cereal that is).

This year I was lucky when I bought a bunch of cereal, and no bugs infested. Well the sale is on again, and before I make a commitment to a years worth of cereal, I want to make sure I can store it alright.

So I have 76 boxes of cereal and I need another 60 for the year.

Do I take them out of the box and find 5 gallon buckets for them? Do I leave them in the packages or take them out of the plastic liner and dump it into the bin?

OR do I shrink wrap the cereal? I have bags and a tilia food saver. I would have to buy more bags, but I would have to buy buckets too, either way is an investment. Buckets will last longer of course.

I have jars I could put some cereal in, but really I think it would be a waste of jars. I used it for rice, but only because I was tired of bagging and sealing it. LOL

What kind of cereal? If it's not something like a granola type of cereal, I would think that vacuum sealing would end with cereal crumbs. The vacuum sealer would cause definate crushing.

If you use buckets, how about using the dry ice method? That way the bag isn't being sucked in by the O2 absorbers.

Originally Posted By: Fritz_Monroe
What kind of cereal?

Raisin bran, krispex, rice crispies, corn pops, corn flakes, stuff like that.

I suggest using a hard (non compressable) container since the majority of the cereals are the "flake" kind and easily crushed.

A hard container will let you use either dry ice or oxygen absorbers.

If you can find 1/2 gallon canning jars (or 1 gallon), these would be (in my opinion) ideal for what you want - large enough quantity for several days (weeks ?) of cereal without opening a large quantity container such as a 5 gallon bucket and have it go stale (or having everyone get "bored" with the same thing everyday until it is gone).

If you can find "Lock & Lock" containers (a bit pricey though) or "Freshness Savers" (about 1/2 the cost of Lock & Lock), these might be ideal. Food safe clear plastic with a silicone seal airtight lid.

It is your choice on either the dry ice or oxygen absorbers. Either one will take care of any "critters". I prefer oxygen absorbers for their convenience.

Well, I guess you don't have enough freezer space for that many ! I freeze extra cereal, crackers, chips, etc. They never get stale and do not get soggy. They don't really freeze, just are cold when you remove them. We eat them right out of the freezer. Talk about cold cereal, ha ha ! Couldn't resist.

Have you tried any O2 absorbers or those mylar bags that are zip-top? We have cold cereal here but don't store it long term....good thread.

I do store most cereals in Tupperware. I ate GrapeNuts that were a year old last week and they were fine...

Archived