MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Home made pudding?

These both look great, but DH is allergic to corn. Can I substitute rice starch or wheat starch for the cornstarch? One to one?

Dora

Dora, I'm allergic to corn also and I usually use arrowroot to substitute for the cornstarch. I have not heard of rice starch..is there such a thing and does it thicken the same? I'm allergic to wheat also.

I'll have to try tweaking the recipe and get back to you..or if you get to it before I do, let me know how it works with whatever you try!

Oh yeah..I forgot about the tapioca. I like arrowroot though..will have try it in this recipe. I'm not a huge pudding maker because I'm allergic to milk , too, LOL SO I have to substitute that also. LOL I joke about eating "fake" food.

Coconut milk makes for a rich pudding in replacement for dairy milk. I've made some killer custards before with cocoa, egg yolks and coconut milk solids- place the can in the fridge and only use the solids that rise. Use the remaining liquid in a smoothie.

Casey, what a great idea! You are my new hero! (wondering why I haven't done this before) LOL

We found the rice starch at an Asian grocery, and it seems to work the same as any other - use it for gravies, etc. I had some arrowroot, but it got rather warm when the house fire smoke came thru the kitchen. How long does it usually keep (without fires of course)? I will keep an eye out for tapioca starch.

Dora

Archived