MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

canning raspberries?

kathy003

It's almost fall raspberry season in my area and i plan on making Jam. I know my mother freezes raspberries, but I am low of freezer space, I was wondering if anyone canned raspberries like you would peaches?

And, if you do, would the process time in a water bath canner be the same as peaches?

I think I have the blue ball book, i ordered it from Barnes and nobles, except it's not blue, but it does say Ball on it. The front cover has canned food on the front and it is titled Complete Book of Home Preserving. Call me nieve, but I thought it would be blue

Ah...Kathy, that's NOT the Ball Blue book..it's a separate reference book printed by the same people. The Ball Blue Book IS indeed blue, has picture of a cheesecake on the cover, and you can get it at WalMart for $5.47. I just bought one for a new canner friend.

I have the book you mentioned, and it's a great reference also. It contains many recipes not in the Ball Blue Book. You didn't waste your money, don't worry about that.

I've found that raspberries are just too delicate for canning, even in 1/2 pints. I much prefer to eat them in season...FRESH.

Although...syrup, jam, compote, etc. could be done. smile

Canned raspberries are delicious. I've canned them for years. I don't hot pack them, I just put them in jars and add my hot syrup then process. Yes, they are fragile and aren't as good as fresh. BUT having a bowl of raspberries with some homemade cookies....yummy!

I prefer to freeze raspberries whole. Do not wash them ... just place them on a single layer on a cookie sheet and place in the freezer until completely frozen. Then empty into a gallon ziplock freezer bag and pop back into the freezer. Yeilds beautiful whole raspberries that can be scooped out in what ever amount you need for recipes etc.

Archived