MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Another reason to love my Kitchen Aid!

Vlynn

This morning, as I was contemplating what to do with the sink full of tomatoes I do not have time for today, I remembered I had ordered a grinder/strainer attachment for my KA. I was going to use it to make applesauce. I pulled it out, connected everything, and started feeding whole Roma tomatoes into the hopper. About twenty minutes later, I had ten quarts of puree! It took out all the seeds, skins and stems. My sauce is now simmering-away in the Nesco, while I can go get some work done. I'm so excited to have discovered this! What a time-saver!

Oh, yea - I better go get some work done clothesline

Dee told me about the Squeezo machine thangy that does the same thing, and they sure make the work alot easier.

I burned out a few KA motorss before I changed to a brand that could handle me. But, when I was using my KA, I had all the attachments. I ground beef into hamburger, made sausage, flaked oat groats into oatmeal, made pasta, etc etc etc.

They're great units.

How quickly does a KA motor burn out? I have a beloved KA that's about 10 years old -- older than the new, fancy models. I have to admit, hand grinding 5 cups of wheat for bread gets a bit old.

I've been debating buying the KA attachment or a stand-alone electric unit.

My mom always used a foley food mill for tomatoes and such. I can't seem to wrap my head around using an electric attachment for that.

If properly used & rested, the KA motors DON'T. Just like KA dishwashers - you really DON'T need a warranty.

When I got my KA on sale, one of the first things I used it for was grinding grain. EVEN THOUGH I followed their directions, I burned out the motor.

My 'happy place' is to grind 5 C of grain, rest 40 min, then grind some more.

The book says to do 7 C, then rest for 20 min.

I have a squeezo, one I am selling in fact...I'll post it on the 2 Bits Forum.

Ladies I have a KA but I bought it in 1972, so I know it is all metal and no plastic grears. Now when that change was made I do not know. That part of the company was sold and things changed. I have heard a rumor that KA the real company is about to come out with a new small machine for home use.

Don't know if that is true.

Having said all of this watch my mixer go out on me.

I have a Bosch for Bread.

Ladies I have a KA but I bought it in 1972, so I know it is all metal and no plastic grears. Now when that change was made I do not know. That part of the company was sold and things changed. I have heard a rumor that KA the real company is about to come out with a new small machine for home use.

Don't know if that is true.

Having said all of this watch my mixer go out on me.

I have a Bosch for Bread.

I have a 450 watt kitchen aid that I used for about 2 years and the last time I used it to grind meat something popped, and the accessory drive quit working. I haven't opened it up but I suspect it broke a gear. Since I have purchased the big 600 watt unit and it doesn't seem to be THAT much stronger, but I have really given it the torture test and knock on wood it has held up thus far.

It it my understanding that at some point they went to plastic gears in the smaller ones, I have never found anything that states whether they did in the big one or not.

Kitchen Aide is not what they once where. I have personally burned up 2 of their biggest blenders making hummus. On the plus side their customer service replaced it both times, and insisted that it should be able to handle it. The second time it was relegated to making margaritas and nothing more strenuous.

so I checked this out. Kitchen aid mixers used to be made by a company called Hobart. In 1986, Hobart sold the Kitchen Aid line to Whirlpool.

I got my Kitchen Aid in 1987. I wonder if it's a good one or not, and how to tell.

Originally Posted By: Tracie
so I checked this out. Kitchen aid mixers used to be made by a company called Hobart. In 1986, Hobart sold the Kitchen Aid line to Whirlpool.

I got my Kitchen Aid in 1987. I wonder if it's a good one or not, and how to tell.

If you go to the KA website, they have a forum. There's lots of talk about new vs. old models. Maybe you could find your answer there. My 450 watt KA is less than 2 years old, but I use (and sometimes abuse) it almost daily. I've never had problems. But I have heard if you do have a problem, their customer service is excellent. Hope we never have to test that!

Normal people won't burn out the motors of the KA.

I wish I had some pictures of homey's face when she would walk into my kitchen when I was cooking...'overdoing it' is an understatment, but I used to do alot of volume cooking.

As far as I'm concerned the burnouts worked well for her and I lol...she got all the attachments...I got a different machine that I can push past the limits.

lol

Internet has been down, sorry. rollingeyes

I wish I had some pictures of homey's face when she would walk into my kitchen when I was cooking...'overdoing it' is an understatment, but I used to do alot of volume cooking.

Much of the volume from her cooking painted the walls and ceiling. I got really good at using her spatulas during clean-up.

twister

Archived