MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

"Cure" for eating too much garlic?

HSmom

Is there one?

I don't mean the pungent odor of garlic emanating from the pores, I mean the intestinal gas I get when I pig out on garlic.

See, I have this recipe: One whole chicken, two heads (about 40 cloves) garlic, 1 cup chicken broth. Put the chicken in a pan, place the garlic cloves around it; cover them with broth and roast. I usually squeeze the cooked garlic out of the peel onto bread.

Tonight, I ate HALF the garlic in this recipe - so about a whole clove. It was SOOOOOO good! I could've eaten all of it. But know that tomorrow, my belly is going to be crampy and I'm going to have gas that knocks over the dog.

Is there any hope for me?

DarleneSwoon

Maybe if you made your forty clove garlic chicken dish in a clay pot it might go better? I have several clay pots for roasting and have made it several times and we've got sensitive systems but have never gotten gas from it...because of the way a clay pot cooks the garlic comes out so very very tender...maybe that helps? also, make sure your garlic hasn't sprouted at all -- the fresher the better -- it seems like those little green sprouts in it cause trouble...except of course, when you're planting it :*)

is it possible it's the skin of the chicken you are not tolerating well? or the fat of the chicken going into the garlic? i know that is the case with me...i have to tear the skin off before or after I cook it...

i am also a garlic lover -- i love it the way others love chocolate -- one thing I do is separate three heads of garlic, but don't peel the cloves, put them in a small saucepan with a can of chicken broth and simmer gently for three or four hours, covered, stirring only occasionally...it turns to a golden puree you can spread onto French bread or vegetables or anything you like...it keeps in a glass jar in the fridge for a long time...heck, the stuff is probably medicine, too...stirred into chicken soup! you can push it through a strainer to get rid of every last bit of garlic skin, or just pick the skins out rather easily...

don't give up your garlic! that's like being allergic to water...

:*)

Originally Posted By: pricklypear
one thing I do is separate three heads of garlic, but don't peel the cloves, put them in a small saucepan with a can of chicken broth and simmer gently for three or four hours, covered, stirring only occasionally...it turns to a golden puree you can spread onto French bread or vegetables or anything you like...
*drool*

I don't think it's the chicken, as I can eat non-garlicy chicken without trouble. I bake/roast in stoneware (from Pampered Chef), so I think it's fairly similar to clay. The garlic is soft and just mushes out of the peel.

The burps are starting now (3 hours after dinner). BTW, the gas isn't foul or beany...it's just garlicy! rofl

Oh my poor children! sofa

HS Mom,

Try some mint tea...heck chew the mint leaves!

Also, I use papaya enzyme (really cheap at the drug store) to help digestion and a lovely homeopathic that sets things right, "Nux Vomica". You can find it at health food stores and sometimes with the vitamins. It dissolves instantly and leads to anti-gas & anti-nausea happiness.

Never leave home without it, have 3 tubes in various places - medicine chest, purse, nightstand.

I've noticed that with me, the fat makes it WAAAAY worse, so I don't use any, maybe a tbsp of olive oil only.

Hope this helps...

That recipe sounds heavanly. It's such a wonderful thing...I not only have found a host of like minded friends in a world where they are a rarity..but you like the little stinking rose as well.My Brother dearest makes a garlic soup he swears by as a cold cure, Now I'll have to go look up his recipe!

I Pray your gas passes quickly HSmom (no pun intended.)

Call us the Garlic Sisters. :*) I got the recipe from a cookbook about French "light" cooking...I actually prefer to make it with beef broth rather than chicken, as it has a richer flavor that way...but i imagine it could be done with vegetable broth or even plain water...I just add spoonfuls to whatever I'm cooking...though it's best as a butter substitute...

i have a friend who used garlic to cure her athlete's foot! :*) i imagine it is just as good for us on the inside as on the out...do share your brother's recipe for the Garlic Soup!

I planted garlic this year and it is tall and seems to be doing well, but I think I planted it too early...if I just let it die off will it come back next year? or shuold I dig up the cloves, if they are immature, and use them? am not sure...

I sometimes plant garlic and harvest it as green garlic, but am trying to get the actually bulbs this time...I am really afraid of having to do without garlic if things get really bad! :*)

Gosh, I know nothing about growing the stuff...you'd think I would but there's a u-pick garden here that sells it really cheap so i just buy it from them and save myself the hassle.

I'll post the soup recipe immediately.

HSMom..How you doin' kiddo? Hope the beano helped!

I think you should leave it in the ground. From a page titled "Garlic Production in New Mexico":

Garlic cloves requires a period of 6-8 weeks of cool weather after planting (below 40ûF) to vernalize the plant so that it will form bulbs. During the fall and winter, cloves will develop their root systems and initiate some top growth.

That's at

http://www.cahe.nmsu.edu/pubs/_h/h-234.html

I usually plant mine in early October, but I'm up here in the north.

HS Mom, no suggestions for you other that just tell people to deal with it. LOL. I eat so much raw garlic and garlic powder that DH says it comes from my pores. I minimize how often I eat it for his sake. But boy, did I have a great time when he had that head cold for the past week and couldn't smell my breath.

Just remember, if your stomach is not burning, it's not enough garlic.

Oh, I have a great garlic soup recipe. From Nourishing Traditions. LOVE love love it.

2 med onions, peeled and chopped

16 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped coarsely

2 stalks celery, chopped

4 tablespoons butter

1 1/2 quarts chicken stock

2 medium potatoes, washed and cut up

several sprigs fresh thyme, tied together

1 teaspoon dried green peppercorns, rushed

3 yellow crookneck squash, trimmed and sliced

sea salt or fish sauce and pepper

piima cream or creme fraiche

Saute onions, garlic and celery gently in butter until soft. Add chicken stock and potatoes. Bring to a boil and skim. Add thyme and crushed peppercorns. Simmer, covered, until potatoes are tender. Add squash and simmer about 10 minutes more or until squash is tender. Puree soup with a handheld blender. If soup is too thick, thin with a little water. Season to taste. Serve with cultured cream.

(Note, I've been known to double the garlic and leave out the squash - interferes with the taste too much. LOL)

Archived