MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Stocks other than chicken/beef?

etp777

So I've asked about this before in relation to Duck, but keep coming up with new inspirations. What are the options on other types of stocks? I went to go get some "meaty beef bones" for beef stock yesterday. Store didn't have any, but had pork neck bones and veal shoulder bones, etc. Any reason I couldn't make other stocks? I figure both of those would do alright with beef stock recipe, maybe process a few minutes longer just to be safe. Not sure on recipe for the veal stock yet, but can see pork stock being amazing in place of water in split pea soup, or to cook rice for pork fried rice, etc.

Along same lines, can you make and can seafood stock at home yourself? Have had to buy this stuff beforee for recipes, and can be hard to find and not particularly cheap. Realize though this might be one of those things that can only done with commercial processes (or doing it myself the night before with a long proccess).

I make beef stock, poultry stock, and veggie stock. According to the Ball Blue Book, other types of stocks are done in the same way.

I take the bones or a carcass (chicken/turkey), toss them in a pot with enough water to cover them, add a carrot or two, onion, some celery...add a little salt...let it simmer until the meat falls off the bone.

Then I drain it all, saving the 'stock', the water that it was cooked in. If the meat/ bones had fat, I set this into the fridge to cool for de-fatting, at least a day. I remove the hardened fat and strain it through a seive or cheesecloth.

I puree the veggies, pick the meat out, and add the de-fatted broth back to it. Put into sterile jars. Process according to BBB instructions.

Over the past few years, I've not had time to do this, so I've used the boxed broths/ stocks. They really taste terrible when compared to homemade!

I've also known people to boil the shellfish shells like from shrimp, lobster, etc. But since I don't eat shellfish, I'm not an expert. I also don't eat pork, so someone else will have to answer that one. smile

The Ball Blue Book has recipes for chicken (which would apply to turkey also), beef and vegetable stocks. While I am not finding any fish stock recipes, there are plenty of recipes in there for canning shrimp, tuna, fish, crab and oysters and one recipe for canning clam chowder base (without the milk or butter, which is added when you make the chowder upon opening the jar)

If you have the Ball Blue Book current edition, it is on page 61.

As to the pork, I'd do same as beef stock--but I'm not an expert. Better ask Violet's vote in this one. I checked the USDA web site and it had nothing on this, either.

I wrote to the Center for Home Food Preservation through their website and asked this question for you..I got this reply today:

>>There are no indications that USDA tested pork stock while coming up with the beef stock recommendation. However, since pork and beef pieces of meat are canned the same, I would expect that the same directions for beef stock can be used for canning a pork stock. http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can_05/stock_broth.html

This process is intended to be stock with very little meat if any. The "meat from bones" that is suggested to be added back to the beef stock is meant to be just small bits of meat clinging to cleaned bones. If you have substantial meat pieces, then the meat should be canned as a meat pieces pack.

There are no USDA or our own recommendations for canning a seafood soup stock.>>>

I canned up some crab stock. We spotted a 10lb box of snow crab legs at sams club for $55 and splurged. We ate a few clusters from time to time and I put the empty shells in the freezer until the whole bx was gone. I dumped the whole mess into my big stock pot and boiled it until I felt I got as much flavor out of it as I could. I then processed it according the blue books instructions for fish stock. It is a nice addition when making gumbo!!!

Robert Z, I looked at the Ball Blue Book recipe for clam chowder base and decided that if I had a chance to make fish, crab, or lobster stock, I'd follow those processing times, too.

(Which reminds me of a fisherman's wife I know....I was saying how great it must be to have plenty of lobster and she laughed and said..."Oh honey, after all these years, it's one more thing to toss in the pot!)

Originally Posted By: JCK88
(Which reminds me of a fisherman's wife I know....I was saying how great it must be to have plenty of lobster and she laughed and said..."Oh honey, after all these years, it's one more thing to toss in the pot!)

Jeez! that is awful, she is very jaded! down here in very land locked KY, any good shell fish is a treasure, and is paid for in appendages!

Robert, that goes for us, too. But if you think about it, makes sense. I suppose one could get appetite fatigue from lobster just as well as from beans and TVP...and wouldn't I like to try???!

My preferred method of creating a stock is to first roast the bones in an oven until they are browned. These bones then go in the stock pot, with vegetables and herbs & water then I de-glaze the roasting pot and add that to the stock for added richness. You may break/chop the bones before or after roasting~! Works well with Beef, Pork, Poultry, foul, or other, Buffalo, Dear etc.

NOT fish !

You can pan roast these bones to brown also, Low or High temp, just watch so they don’t burn.

Saving any drippings from meats, or simply de-glazing liquids for later use, makes for an easy sauce stock to add to say cooked noodles, rice, etc., I refrigerate or freeze these small amounts for latter use.

In the restaurants we would save all Vegetable peelings, tops and unused part to the “3 stock pots” beef, chicken & pork, and simmer for many hours, the resulting broth was a base for the soups we made from fresh vegetable & meats!

My duck is always cooked on a rotisserie so the grease drains off, I save the bones, roast them, then for my stock, I food process the vegetables, saute along with these roasted bones, then add water, then let all the liquid drain threw a sieve with a filter so I end-up with a clear pure broth, which can be used for sauces, duck soup, a glaze, ect..

If you eat shell fish, ( I do), save any shrimp shells/ Lobster/clams/crab/crawdads/oysters you remove, and boil makes a more flavorful stock for each. These with vegies, herbs, water and spices, ( even bitters) make a very taste base stock for soups, bisques, etc.

Try Beef & chicken stock together, make a Good “French Onion Soup” ( sweeter than a simple Beef onion)

Fish bones, (UNCOOKED) I simmer with vegetable, spices, herbs too, I might add mushroom broth, or vegetable broth. Know that a fish stock is a STRONG smelling & strong tasting broth.

Chicken broth in small amounts adds a little zest to a fish broth!

I do hope this helps!

I will give more specific recipes, if you’d like!

p.s. I save the broth from boiled corned beef ( and some of the corned beef) to make split pea soup.......Oh so good!

Archived