MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What did I do wrong????

RNMOM

Yesterday I canned beef stew and then chili. The chili beans had soaked all night.

Well, 7 of my 14 quarts of chili didn't seal and 4 of my 13 quarts of beef stew didn't seal! This is my first sealing failures all season long!? I'm pretty discouraged this morning.

I was going to take two meals into people in my neighborhood, one just had a baby and the other was in a car accident and recovering slowly. I guess I know what they are getting for dinner.

Did you use anything different?

I had a huge failure-to-seal rate when I used the seals from my new box of "Golden Harvest" jars. Now I only use those lids for juices, which I feel are easier to re-seal if I need to (won't affect flavor or texture).

The jars are great, but I don't trust the lids any more.

I use Kerr or Ball lids, whichever I can get.

shrug

It has nothing to do with the lids. Quarts are difficult for such dense foods and are easily effected by temperature changes during processing. Do not remove the jars immediately from the canner and make sure there are no drafts.

You can reprocess with new lids (wipe the rims good) within 24 hours. Screw lids on only finger tight.

If you used the new lids - screwed to the top of the jars - that could have been a problem. I've had failures that way. Putting the lids on the jars and then screwing them on has GOT to be THE MOST stupid way of shipping and storing jars....I use the BOXED lids only and my failure rate has dropped to virtually zero.

Also, did you let everything vent properly? I mean, before putting the weight on and after you took the canners off the heat?

Double-check the rims of your jars...and then when wiping the rims, use a paper towel damp with vinegar. Be sure to clean the rings too.

I'm sure Violet has something to add that we have overlooked...have I mentioned that Violet's applesauce is simply pristine and beautiful!?

Well, I think I figured out what went wrong....duh. For you master canners out there you are probably going to think I'm the biggest idiot. The lids were Ball lids and not very old. So I doubt that was the problem.

I think it is that I was letting the pressure canner cook outside on my propane cooker. It did fine, but then I put the processed jars on a table in my garage. That usually works just fine, but it was about 30 degrees last night when I finally pulled that last of the jars from the canner.

I think that this is what went wrong.

I didn't give up however, I have some pork and beans in the pressure canner even as we speak. It's on the stove in the basement this time.

Archived