1 large green pepper cut into pieces

4 garlic cloves minced

1 medium onion chopped

2 tsp salt

½ tsp pepper

2 TBSP beef bouillon

1 can tomatoes un-drained cut up

1 pumpkin

In dutch oven brown meat in 2 TBSP oil. Add water, potatoes, carrots, green pepper, garlic, onion, salt, and pepper

Cover and simmer 2 hours. Stir in bouillon and tomatoes

Wash pumpkin cut a 6 inch circle around top stem

Remove top and set aside-discard seeds and loose fibers. Place pumpkin in a pan. Spoon stew into pumpkin and replace top. Brush outside of pumpkin with remaining oil and bake at 325 for 2 hours or until pumpkin is tender. Serve stew scooping out a little pumpkin with each serving.

here is a bread that is great

HALLOWEEN BREAD

Combine and mix well

1 cup sugar

½ cup brown sugar

1 cup cooked pumpkin (canned of fresh)

½ cup salad oil

2 eggs unbeaten

Sift together and add

2 cup flour

1 tsp soda

½ tsp salt

½ tsp nutmeg

½ tsp cinnamon

¼ tsp ginger

Stir in ¼ cup water

Add ½ cup chopped pecans--mix well

pour into greased and floured loaf pan. Bake 350 for 1 hour until toothpick comes out clean.

here is another one

PUMPKIN BREAD

4 eggs

3 cups sugar

2 cups canned pumpkin(or fresh cooked pumpkin)

1 cup oil

2/3 cup water

3 ½ cup flour

½ tsp baking powder

1 ½ tsp salt

1 tsp nutmeg

1 tsp cloves

1 tsp cinnamon

1 cup nuts

In large bowl beat eggs and add sugar

Add pumpkin eater and oil beat

Combine all dry then add to mixture

Pour into greased and floured pan

Bake 375 for 1-1 ½ hours

and here are cookies

PUMPKIN COOKIES

2 ¼ cup sugar

¼ cup Crisco

2 eggs well beaten

1 large can pumpkin (or fresh cooked)

1 ¼ tsp soda

4 cups flour

2 TBSP baking powder

1 cup chopped nuts

½ tsp ginger

½ tsp cinnamon

1 tsp salt

2 tsp vanilla

½ tsp allspice

¼ tsp cloves

Cream together Crisco and sugar. Add eggs, pumpkin, and soda. Mix in rest of ingredients. Drop onto cookie sheet. Sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar mixture. Bake at 374 for 8 to 10 minutes.

Here are 2 pumpkin pickle recipes... one for pie pumpkins the other for jack-o-lantern pickles.

Pumpkin Pickles

2 medium pie pumpkins, cut, cored, peeled and diced (about 7 cups

pumpkin cubes)

2 sticks cinnamon

15 cloves

2 1/3 cups vinegar

2 1/3 cups sugar

Steam the pumpkin cubes until tender, about 10 minutes. Drain.

Put the spices in a tea ball. Simmer them with the vinegar and sugar for 15 minutes.

Simmer the pumpkin cubes in this syrup for 3 minutes. Set aside for 24 hours.

Start water boiling in a canner. Heat the pumpkin/syrup mix and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove the spices and pack into 7 1/2 pint jars,leaving 1/2 inch headspace.

Process in a boiling water bath for 5 minutes, counting from when the water returns to a full boil.

Pumpkin Pickles

Makes about 5 pints

These interesting pickles are a good way to repurpose a Halloween

jack-o'-lantern, providing it's been freshly carved.

1 large pumpkin

6 cups granulated sugar

3 cups white or cider vinegar (5 percent acidity)

1 teaspoon whole cloves

1 cinnamon stick, about 4 inches long, broken

2 pieces candied or crystallized ginger

1. Peel pumpkin, remove seeds and save for another use. Cut pumpkin into 2-inch cubes.

2. Bring sugar and vinegar to a boil over high heat in a large

stainless steel or enamel saucepan, stirring until sugar is dissolved.

Tie cloves, cinnamon and ginger tightly in a cheesecloth bag; add to sugar mixture.

3. Add pumpkin. Reduce heat and boil gently for 25 minutes, or until pumpkin is tender but pieces still hold their shape, stirring frequently. Discard spice bag.

4. Remove hot jars from canner. Remove pumpkin from liquid with a

slotted spoon; pack tightly into jars. Pour liquid over pumpkin to within ½ inch of rim (head space). Process according to jar

manufacturer's instructions, 15 minutes for pint jars and 20 minutes for quart jars.

Note: Depending on the size of the pumpkin, you may need to make more of the syrup. Always use the same proportions called for in the recipe: 2 parts sugar to 1 part vinegar.

I finished putting my recipes (collected for many years) onto my computer last month so if ya'll need anything else--let me know--I have tons of them. I am having them printed and bound to give to all my family this year. Makes a mom proud when that is what her kids ask santa for star

here ol'momma

HARVEST PIE

Mix together

2 eggs

1 ½ cup pumpkin

½ tsp salt

½ tsp allspice

1 tsp cinnamon

½ tsp nutmeg

¾ cup sugar

1 ½ cup milk

Pour into unbaked pie shell. Bake 425 for 15 minutes reduce heat to 350 and bake for 45 minutes.

PUMPKIN PIE

In bowl mix

2 cups cooked and mashed pumpkin

1 cup sugar

½ tsp salt

1 tsp cinnamon

½ tsp ginger

¼ tsp cloves

Dash nutmeg

2 eggs

Mix well and add 1 can evaporated milk

Mix and pour into unbaked pie shell bake 425 for 25 then bake 350 for 50 refrigerate

Thank you for posting these. This is my first year growing my own pumpkins and I was wondering what to do with them. The pumpkin bread and the cookies sound good! Guess I will have to try my hand at making those this week-end. feedme

Q

I just made a very good pumpkin bisque. I had a lot of pumpkins from my CSA (Community supported Agriculture) delivery. So I roasted them today, and made puree. Some puree went into a pie, some into the freezer (in 1.5 cup packets) and some into this soup.

1 medium sweet onion, finely minced

2 tbs butter

3 cups pumpkin puree (or 6 cups raw pumpkin, peeled and cut in small cubes)

2-3 cups veggie or chicken broth

1/2 tsp cardamom (ground)

1/2 - 1 cup half and half or cream

In a medium pot, sautee the sweet onion in the butter on low heat until soft and starting to brown (about 10-15 minutes.

If using puree, add the puree, 2 cups of broth and cardamom to the onions and simmer 15-20 minutes.

If using raw pumpkin, add the pumpkin, cardamom and enough broth to barely cover and simmer 20-30 minutes, until the pumpkin is soft. Remove from heat

puree half of the soup, either with a stick blender or regular blender. Add cream just before serving.

We really loved this one. The cardamom was very interesting, with a great flavor. You could easily substitute a bit of nutmeg, or whatever seasoning you prefer.

I love to cook! Since it is fall and Thanksgiving is almost here, I want to share my favorite Pumpkin Cake Recipe with you all.

This is for a Bundt cake which I love making...giving you yet another reason to wear your apron!

Pumpkin Cake

Makes 1 - 10 inch bundt cake

Ingredients

1 cup vegetable oil

3 eggs

1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

2 1/2 cups white sugar

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon ground nutmeg

1 teaspoon ground allspice

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1 teaspoon ground cloves

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 cup chopped nuts

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease one 10 inch

Bundt or tube pan.

Cream oil, beaten eggs, pumpkin and vanilla together.

Sift the flour, sugar, baking soda, ground nutmeg, ground allspice, ground cinnamon, ground cloves and salt together.

Add the flour mixture to the pumpkin mixture and mix until just

combined. If desired, stir in some chopped nuts. Pour batter into the prepared pan (I use Pam and then sprinkle it with sugar inside rather then flour).

Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Let cake cool in pan for 5 minutes then turn out onto a plate ( use a spatula or butter knife and go around the cake to help release it from the pan) and sprinkle with confectioners' sugar (put powdered sugar in a fine strainer and tap gently).

Note: you can use cans to make this cake! Open a can, remove lid.

Empty the contents and rinse and dry can. Treat this can as you would any cake pan. Grease inside of pan (you can sprinkle sugar inside to give it a pretty sparkle when removed), fill cake 3/4 full. Bake as recommended. To remove, open bottom and push out. Slice into 1/2" slices, fan out on a tray and sprinkle with powdered sugar.

Any size can works... well, maybe not a #10 size! LOL! these 'tube' cakes once cooled, can be wrapped in wax paper then foil and frozen for up to 6 months to a year.

enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived