MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Can this recipe be canned?

Percysgirl

I have a recipe for butternut squash soup. Can this be canned if I cook it in the crock-pot until it is tender and then can it, leaving the squash in chunks?

How long would I can it?

1 butternut squash, peeled, cleaned and cubed

2 tart apples, peeled and cubed

2 small onions, chunked

4 cups chicken stock

3/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon cloves

1/4 teaspoon black pepper

1/4 teaspoon curry powder

1/4 teaspoon coriander

1/4 teaspoon nutmeg

I would be concerned that the squash would not stay in a cubed state when mixed and boiled with all those ingredients, which then pushes it to the edge of being too dense to be considered safe to can.

I am also not a believer of "choosing the longest cooking time" as the single criteria for making a recipe safe to can at a certain time and temperature.

I would give a 'thumbs down' on canning it.

That is no longer true about the longest processing time. You have no idea of the density of the food. The density is also a factor in canning, as much so as the ph level.

Again, this is a cooking recipe. Cooking recipes and canning recipes are two different things.

I highly suggest you get a Ball Blue book and also use the So Easy to Preserve either in print form or online from NCFHFP and follow their tested recipes.

I do know that squash in mixed vegetables is a "no no" due to the way it packs down.

Archived