MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

English cucumbers, green onions, parsley and honeydew melon oh my!

Aint2nuts

I have a Tilia foodsaver. I have a water bath canner and I have a dehydrator. I have a small amount of vinegar (can get more) I have about 30 lbs of sugar (can get more). I have onions.

I have more than 30 large english cucmbers that I need to preserve. I know they can't be dried, I don't have a canner, but I DO have a water bath canner and "some" jars. Recipes? Ideas?

I have the Italian or Flat leaf parsley. About 5 lbs of the stuff. Just cut and dehydrate right?

GREEN ONIONS ACK!!! More than 7 lbs of green onions. No room in the freezer. I rarely use these. What can they be used for? We love onions, but these we use on chili, and on salad occasionally and the occasional baked potato dinners we have. Help!

8 -- HUGE honeydew melons or some simalar type of melon. I am not sure what they are. Can I dry them?

8 heads of celery. Got that covered. I am cutting them this afternoon and dehydrating them overnight. If I have room I will throw on the parsley.

HELP?!!!

Angela, I sent you a relish recipe and a pickle recipe..

Yep, you can dry the parsley. You don't even need to cut it up. You just dry it and then when it's crinkly, you crush the leaves off the stems. I was doing this all summer! Flat leaf works just fine, don't worry.

I dried the green onions, too. You can use them any way you would use other onions. They are also good on salad. You can put them on meat you roast and in soups.

I think you can dehydrate melon. I did this years ago, but not lately. It tastes great, like fruit leather. Also, you can freeze melon so if you can make room in the freezer...

Have fun with this bounty! Sounds like you raided a farm stand!! LOL Good job.

I am SURE happy that I don't have to cut the parsley off the stems! THat will be a time saver. It is going to take me today and tomorrow to do the celery. What I did (half of it) filled the 7 trays. I need more trays LOL! My E'Quip needs about 9 more trays to do what I cut up today!

I didn't know about the cucumbers. Maybe I will try a tray and then see if I like them, and THEN dry the rest if they are good. I have never tried dried cucumber.

Dried melon sounds... interesting. LOL I might do the melon and freeze it. Might do a test run of drying it.

English Cucumbers can make great sliced pickles or a relish, both of which can be done in a Boiling Water Canner since they are pickled.

Cucumber Relish

4 cups cucumbers -- {about 4 }, peeled and chopped

1 cup green bell pepper -- {about 2 }, chopped

1/2 cup red bell peppers -- { about 1 }, chopped

3 cups onions -- chopped

3 cups celery -- finely diced

1/4 cup salt

3 1/2 cups sugar

2 cups white vinegar

1 tablespoon celery seed

1 tablespoon mustard seed

Use coarse blade on grinder, combine all vegetables in large bowl, sprinkle with salt. Cover with cold water, let stand 4 hours drain thoroughly in colander, press out all excess liquid.

Combine sugar, vinegar, celery seed and mustard seed. Bring to a boil ,stiring until sugar is dissolved.

Stir in drained vegetables, simmer 10 minutes. Pack into jars to within 1\2 inch of the top. Put on cap, screw band firmly tight.

Process in boiling water bath 10 minutes.

Use coarse blade on grinder,

Don't have one of these. :-(

Archived