MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Depression Cooking videos

My Gram used to make a potato dish she called "polt"...it's kind of a Norwiegen dumpling. When we were kids we called them "moon rocks" because they are grey and dense.They don't look the least bit appetizing but they are filling and tasty.

Peel and shred/grate spuds. Squeeze out some of the water--you want them wet, but not soggy. Add a bit of grated onion if you happen to have one laying around. Measure the pulp and stir in 1 c flour and 1 tsp salt for each cup of potaoto. You can add caraway seed, too. You should end up with a soft dough you can form into balls. You may find that you need to add more flour. Let it rest while you bring a large stock pot full of salted water, or broth, to a rapid boil. Flour your hands and form balls about the size of Extra Large eggs(If you'r feeling extravigant, make the balls around a piece of left over sausage!!). Drop them into the pot of boiling water. Don't crowd the pot. Return it to a boil. Stir gently to make sure none of the dumplings are sticking to the bottem. They'll float when they are done. Serve with fresh butter and salt and pepper. Refirgerate the left-overs. Slice them about 1/4" thick and fry them for breakfast in the morning.

I suspect my Gram and Great Aunts probably added cabbage to theirs when they had it, or made a broth with cabbage and onion when they cooked them. I know that Gram prefered "spring" potatos...the ones that had wintered over and were starting to whither a bit...for this. Funny how GOOD they tasted after a day on the sledding hill!

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Clara is so fun to watch. I've tried her pasta with peas recipe. It was pretty good. I think if you didn't water down the sauce like she does no one would realize it was a super frugal recipe.

• 1 month later...

Archived