MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

safe disposal of canned food-lid opened

Homemaker

As I was doing an inventory of my canned food I came across a jar of bbq sauce I had canned. The lid had failed. How do I safely dispose of it? Do I need to boil it before dumping it?

I've never had a failure like this before, only ones I noticed right away and knew they wouldn't be poisonious.

Disposing of spoiled food ttp://www.backwoodshome.com/articles/case66.html

Every home canner will occasionally have jars that spoil on the shelf. The need for safety here can’t be overemphasized. The organisms that spoil canned food are uniformly poisonous to humans, especially in the quantity present in a bad jar of canned food.

The most potent spoilage organism in low-acid foods is botulism, which produces a powerful neurotoxin that will shut down your nervous system. Low-acid foods that have spoiled should be disposed of with the utmost caution because he botulism toxin can be absorbed through the skin. I’m going to detail the most cautious handling methods I know.

First, when you find a spoiled jar, put it down immediately and wash your hands. Prepare a sanitizing solution of ¾ tsp. bleach to 1 cup of water, preferably in a spray bottle. Sanitize your hands with this solution and then put on rubber gloves. Now you can dispose of the spoiled food one of these three ways:

Disposal method 1: Put the jar in a heavy plastic bag, twist the bag shut, turn the bag inside-out to cover the jar with a second layer of plastic, and securely seal it shut. Then send the whole shebang off to the local dump. Use the sanitizing solution and a paper towel to clean up any dribbles or splatters, including on the shelf where the jar was stored and on the sides of the surrounding jars. Then wash and sanitize your rubber gloves while still wearing them.

Using this method, you’ll lose your canning jar, but this is often the best way to handle the situation.

Disposal method 2: Put the jar in a plastic bag, and take it to the bathroom. Carefully open the jar over the toilet and pour its contents into the bowl, flushing several times. Put the jar back into the bag, and carefully clean both your rubber gloves with your sanitizing solution. Use the same solution to clean the toilet, which may have gotten splattered with canning liquid. Then take the bag with its jar and soak it in more sanitizing solution (a ratio of 1/8 cup of bleach to each gallon of water). After 15 minutes or so, drain and dispose of the bag, and wash the jar.

Disposal method 3: Put the jar in a plastic bag and take it outside. Dig a deep hole (2 feet or more) and bury the contents. Clean the jar and your gloves as described above.

This last method has at least two major drawbacks. First, conditions may exist such that you may not be able to get outside and dig the hole right away (such as with frozen ground). Second, a determined animal may still be able to dig up your buried jar. If the animal gets any of the spoiled food on its fur the botulism toxins can be easily transferred to other surfaces. In the case of a pet, this is a real danger to humans who pet it. For this reason, spoiled canned food should never be composted or put into a worm box, either.

Disposing of spoiled food ttp://www.backwoodshome.com/articles/case66.html

Every home canner will occasionally have jars that spoil on the shelf. The need for safety here can’t be overemphasized. The organisms that spoil canned food are uniformly poisonous to humans, especially in the quantity present in a bad jar of canned food.

The most potent spoilage organism in low-acid foods is botulism, which produces a powerful neurotoxin that will shut down your nervous system. Low-acid foods that have spoiled should be disposed of with the utmost caution because he botulism toxin can be absorbed through the skin. I’m going to detail the most cautious handling methods I know.

First, when you find a spoiled jar, put it down immediately and wash your hands. Prepare a sanitizing solution of ¾ tsp. bleach to 1 cup of water, preferably in a spray bottle. Sanitize your hands with this solution and then put on rubber gloves. Now you can dispose of the spoiled food one of these three ways:

Disposal method 1: Put the jar in a heavy plastic bag, twist the bag shut, turn the bag inside-out to cover the jar with a second layer of plastic, and securely seal it shut. Then send the whole shebang off to the local dump. Use the sanitizing solution and a paper towel to clean up any dribbles or splatters, including on the shelf where the jar was stored and on the sides of the surrounding jars. Then wash and sanitize your rubber gloves while still wearing them.

Using this method, you’ll lose your canning jar, but this is often the best way to handle the situation.

Disposal method 2: Put the jar in a plastic bag, and take it to the bathroom. Carefully open the jar over the toilet and pour its contents into the bowl, flushing several times. Put the jar back into the bag, and carefully clean both your rubber gloves with your sanitizing solution. Use the same solution to clean the toilet, which may have gotten splattered with canning liquid. Then take the bag with its jar and soak it in more sanitizing solution (a ratio of 1/8 cup of bleach to each gallon of water). After 15 minutes or so, drain and dispose of the bag, and wash the jar.

Disposal method 3: Put the jar in a plastic bag and take it outside. Dig a deep hole (2 feet or more) and bury the contents. Clean the jar and your gloves as described above.

This last method has at least two major drawbacks. First, conditions may exist such that you may not be able to get outside and dig the hole right away (such as with frozen ground). Second, a determined animal may still be able to dig up your buried jar. If the animal gets any of the spoiled food on its fur the botulism toxins can be easily transferred to other surfaces. In the case of a pet, this is a real danger to humans who pet it. For this reason, spoiled canned food should never be composted or put into a worm box, either.

and from the Maine Cooperative Extension:

Any change from the natural texture or color of the food indicates spoilage. Do not taste any questionable food.

Discard canned food with signs of spoilage. If it is a high-acid food (fruit or tomatoes), throw it in the garbage or garbage disposal. If it is a low-acid food (vegetables, meat, fish, or poultry), it must be discarded more carefully because it could contain botulism toxin. Be careful not to contaminate your work area by spilling the food. Wear rubber gloves when handling the food or containers. Then dispose of it in one of the following ways: 1) boil at full rolling boil for 20 minutes and discard; 2) burn; or 3) mix the food with 1 to 2 Tablespoons household lye or 1 cup chlorine bleach in a non-metal container, and let stand overnight. Flush it down the toilet or discard it in garbage or garbage disposal. http://74.125.45.132/search?q=cache:Y0h-6I...lient=firefox-a

Thanks Judy.

According to the article, it should be safe to pour the BBQ sauce down the drain and wash the jar since it is a tomato product- acidic.

I know I read somewhere that if you were concerned about botulism, you could cover the jar with water and boil it in a covered pan to kill possible spores. That way you wouldn't lose your jar. Maybe they have updated that advice.

I just used method #2 this weekend, for I found a jar of carrots that somehow had spoiled. I gloved my hands, tossed the lid and emptied the contents into the toilet. I sprayed the jar down with bleach in a zippie bag, then dumped it into a sink of water and tossed it into the dishwasher.

I've also boiled jars & contents to sterilize.

Either way, just be safe!

Archived