MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

I hate my canner!!!

Michelle_3kds

I am sooo frustrated!! I have an ancient canner, I've replaced all the parts. It still leaks like a sieve when it's starting up, so I put strategically placed dish towels around it until it gets going (this takes a looong time). I can live with that. What is now driving me crazy is that it doesn't ever get to the "jiggle" stage anymore...why? Because I have a glass cooktop and my canner is warped on the bottom and no longer sits flush. It only gets a pinpoint of heat. My solution has been to beat it silly with a hammer, but that only works for one round, it pops back out again after use. So yesterday I had deboned 2 turkeys, I'm all set to go and it does it again. I thought I needed a different heat source...I can't find the single coil burner I had (I think the kids used it for a project a few years back, you know how that goes). So I went to WalMart to buy another. They aren't coils anymore. I tried it anyway, doesn't get hot enough. Gotta take it back. I still have a lot of broth to put up and I've been hammering like mad.

I think if I bought another canner, the same thing would happen. I suppose the only thing to do is buy one of those turkey frier thingys and a propane tank. What a bother!!!

You may have 2 problems.

Some glass topped stoves can be canned on, others can't - you may have one that isn't designed to handle a canner. Can you check your owner's manual or online to see if it can be canned on? Before buying a turkey fryer and propane tank, please check.

The other is your old canner. Frankly, if it's that old and warped, you need a new one. I wouldn't trust it to be working correctly. A new canner can be had for about $100, that may be all you need.

agree on getting a new canner - ( AFTER YOU CHECK TO SEE IF YOU CAN USE THE CANNER ON YOUR GLASSTOP STOVE!).

Look at it this way - as of now you know that you are nOT getting the best from your canner. And after all the work of canning (as well as hammering) do oyu know for SURE that it canned correctly? Hate to see you go to all that trouble only to have jars popping open in your pantry.

Maybe you can get some money back on the parts you bought by selling them in a local paper or ebay?

all is not lost! we all had a time getting things right when we first started canning - Welcome to the club. wink

Michelle,

You need a new canner. Once they are warped they are useless for canning. Please, do not trust this one to can with as your food may be unsafe. I suggest you freeze your foods for now until you can get a decent canner or borrow one from someone.

Then, the glass top stove may or may not be used, as was said, depending upon how it cycles on and off. Some will not keep a canner up to pressure. Even if it is OK to use for canning you need to get a Presto canner, as that is the only brand I know of that currently states they are fine for glass top stoves. You can get a newer model and get a three piece weight set and use it as a weighted gauge canner instead of a dial gauge.

There are few portable burners that will work for canning on. They are not cheap, either.

Good luck on finding a solution to your canning problems.

Michelle,

I second Violet, it does sound as if you do need to get another canner. Perhaps you can save the gauge, seal, etc. for another model.

I've only tried once to can on a glass top and gave up because it just wasn't keeping temperature.

Do call a friend, borrow SOMETHING or take over someone's kitchen for a day. I'm sure a friend won't mind.

I think I need another canner too...I don't trust the metal, I'm sure it's stressed from all the action it's been getting smile

I'll need to check my stove manual first. I'm hestitant to buy a portable outdoor burner, I don't like the thoughts of having to constantly go out and buy propane for it. Although when I think about it, it would make a good back-up cooking source.

Just a reminder!!! Pressure cookers are not the same as Pressure Canners!!! So be careful when you're shopping!

I love my very old and dependable canner. But one day, I'll get something with a much larger capacity. I can only do 7 quarts at a time. frown

• 1 month later...
Michelle,

You need a new canner. Once they are warped they are useless for canning. Please, do not trust this one to can with as your food may be unsafe. I suggest you freeze your foods for now until you can get a decent canner or borrow one from someone.

Then, the glass top stove may or may not be used, as was said, depending upon how it cycles on and off. Some will not keep a canner up to pressure. Even if it is OK to use for canning you need to get a Presto canner, as that is the only brand I know of that currently states they are fine for glass top stoves. You can get a newer model and get a three piece weight set and use it as a weighted gauge canner instead of a dial gauge.

There are few portable burners that will work for canning on. They are not cheap, either.

Good luck on finding a solution to your canning problems.

Thank you for posting this! I have a ceramic top stove, it is a workhorse, but I just knew I couldn't use a pressure canner. I use cast iron on it all the time, but I just didn't want to chance it with a canner. I resigned myself to salsa and pickles. I was hoping to use a portable electric burner, now I am so relieved I don't have to! It's a Presto for me. :)

Archived