MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Your Favorite Bread Pans

Just curious.......what are your favorite pans to bake yeast breads in? I'm thinking about getting a couple of cast iron pans as I'm not satisfied with what I have now, which is one Pyrex and one aluminum. Neither give me an evenly browned crust. What do the rest of you use? Is it worth it to invest in cast iron bread pans? Is one brand of cast iron better than another? How about stainless steel bread pans? How well do they work?

TIA and I love this forum. Everyone is so nice and so helpful.

my pyrex pan gives me an even brown crust, when I use it. Normally I just make free form bread on a baking sheet or stone. I have not tried using stainless steel pans. I dislike mine, they have some coating on them that has come off over time, I hope we didn't eat much of it.

that is a good idea Canned Nerd. I didnt think of that one. :P but I do have to cook bread rather high up in my oven, as high as i can get away with or the bottom will be black and the top white. I get a good even browning baking higher up in the oven. Also, when I toast garlic loaves, they brown faster at the back of the oven than at the front. Start toasting things just to see where your hot spots are.

Glass and metal do influence the types of crust on a pan.

I didn't like my glass bread pan and was not sorry when it broke.

I use some coated ones by Ecko (Echo) whatever that brand name is for baking goods. I have 2 or 3.

Then I also have some older aluminum ones I've not tried because they do have rust spots. They were my grandma's and she used them weekly for bread.

I use cast iron, I got them from Lodge. I think Lodge makes them every couple of years or so?

I like that they are pretty much unbreakable - I shouldn't ever have to buy new bread pans.

I like that there is no coating on them, there is only iron and seasoning.

I think they make a very good loaf, but I am biased. I am trying to buy items that will last my lifetime, where ever possible. I add major points for durability.

Archived