MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Canner help, please?

MrsMoose

Several years ago I decided it was time to learn to can. My husband headed off to the hardware store and bought me a nice, big canner. Then we learned that we shouldn't can on our solid burner stove. :mellow: Maybe I could have tried anyway, but I was already nervous enough about learning to can that the extra fear of inadequate heat was enough to scare me off.

My parents asked to use my canner that Fall and it worked great for them. They returned it last Fall, minus the box, instruction book and part of the gauge. <_<

Since I have no book or box, can someone help me learn more about my canner based on the information on the bottom of it? I want to find a manual (if possible) and get whatever kind of gauge-thing is best, since I have to buy new anyway. I will have my Extension office do a check on it before I use it.

The handles say "MIRRO". There is a red button on top (pressure release doohickey, I'm guessing).

Inside are two racks and one of the ... weights? ... in a half-circle shape. I think there are supposed to be two.

The bottom says:

MIRRO

22 QT. (20.8 liters)

(blah, blah)

(UL Listing blah, blah)

Made in Brazil

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :D

MrsMoose. I just looked on the pressurecanner site I got my Presto from and evidently neither the 12 or 22 qt Mirro canner was able to really can 7qts at a time..... so I got the 800 number for you to call Mirro about yours.

800-527-7727

I am home inbetween getting more canning jars. I am getting a wagon! Its the only way to buy more than three cases at a time when on foot! I consider this light weightlifting and walking, so putting in two miles for today on the getting fit thread too!

My real question is about that mirro canner, can it can quarts? Is it tall enough? I figure you will have lots of questions for the Mirro folks, so that might be a good practical one! I sure hope so! Maybe it can only can 6 at a time?

You do not need to get a Mirro canner checked at the ext. office. It is a weighted gauge canner and does not have a dial to be checked. As long as it will hold at least 4 quart sized jars it is fine for canning. Then it is a canner, not a cooker.

You just need to get the right weights for yours. I know Mirro has several different types, based on your model. You really don't need their manual . It may tell you wrong, anyway. Be sure to use 2-3 inches of water in the canner before you put the jars in. It is NOT 2 quarts as some manuals say. They can boil dry if you use that amount.

I can help you with most anything if you need help, so ask away ! Glad to help.

Not sure about your stove, check with the manufacturer.

Thanks for the links and all the input. I'll get another gauge for $10 or so and then I'm sure I'll need some hand-holding when I dive in.

There was a stove in this house when we moved in, so we donated the solid burner stove. The only thing it had going for it was no drip pans to clean. :P

Any suggestions on what I should try canning first?

Is meat terribly difficult? I could try burger or some other form of beef.

To me the easiest meat to can is chicken with the bones. I skin the meat, cut off any excess fat, wash it, and put it in the jars. Follow the instructions for canning chicken, and it's done!! Here is a good source for you: http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/

To me it has a totally diferent taste and I love it. It can be used in a lot of different ways also. Good luck and let us know how you do.

"Wormie"

John

Any single item food is fun to start your pressure canning experience with, whether it is meat or vegetables. Chicken, as stated, is fun to do and you can take advantage of store specials. I love doing baby carrots, potatoes, beets, dried beans, and even mushrooms. You will have fun with your canner.

Archived