MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Dagnabbit -- Popped Seal

TurtleMama

So this morning, I was showing off my brand new jars of beans and chicken to my hubby, showing him what we had in our storage pantry. He was looking at my beans and I tapped the lids to show him how you test the seal, and lo and behold, the seal on one of my jars of beans had popped! :o I know for sure that it had sealed and pinged, so it must have let go in the pantry. Now my husband is afraid to eat the stuff I've canned! LOL Does anyone know why the seal would have opened, and what I might do in the future to prevent it? The jar had nothing stacked on top of it and was just sitting on the shelf for about two weeks. I don't want to give anyone poisoned food, so any input would be VERY much appreciated!!!! Thanks, everyone...y'all are the absolute BEST! :D

I rarely lose a jar in my many years of canning, but if I ever do, it is almost always beans, and I mean white, pinto, etc, not green beans. My guess is the gas in them, somehow just did not get out or builds up or something. Just because one in a batch loses its seal does not make the other bad.

Maybe Violet can tell you more.

Usually it is either a nick on the jar or a teeny bit of food that didn't get wiped off. Sometimes it is due to improper headspace. Beans can really swell up and if they swell too much and touch the top of the lid it can appear to seal, then unseal.

It happens to all of us at times. I know it is frustrating. We have to toss the food because for sure bacteria is lurking in there.

Don't be afraid of the rest of the food. Just happens once in a while, but not all the jars are going to be bad.

Oh, I'm so sorry! I second Violet's statement.

I would probably have said something like, "And this is why we check the jars every so often...so we can be safe..."

:D Seriously, I've had that happen once or twice. Once, I tugged on a lid and had it pop, so it went into the fridge. Oh, darn, we had to eat chicken. I also had knocked one rather hard right on the edge of the lid and it popped the seal. I believe that was a jar of carrots, so I think I threw that one away.

Use your best judgement. We're all learning here. :):thumbs:

LOL I had DH throw it away...jar and all...because I was afraid that if there were bacteria they'd stay in the jar even if I washed it!! I'm PARANOID... I'm glad to know that it can happen and I didn't do anything wrong!

Archived