MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

powdered garlic is making everything STINK!

HELP! :P

I have several plastic containers of powdered garlic I bought from Costco. They don't expire for a year or two+ but I can't handle them that long, I need to repackage these babies! None of the other spices I've put aside are 'leaking' fumes (pepper, cinnamon, parsley, oregano, basil, etc), but the garlic sure is. Its making everything stink.

Should I put it in mason jars and vacuum seal them? Will that extend the shelf life? Or not? Sorry, I'm probably asking elementary questions, such a newbie in the kitchen. :sEm_blush:

:curtsey:

Hey LBV, don't feel bad about asking questions...ever! You know I kind of consider the only dumb question the one not asked lol. And with that...I would repackage the garlic powder in glass jars and make sure the lid is on tightly or vacuum seal it shut. That would cut down on the smell leaking out and keep out the moisture.

Q

Hey LBV, don't feel bad about asking questions...ever! You know I kind of consider the only dumb question the one not asked lol. And with that...I would repackage the garlic powder in glass jars and make sure the lid is on tightly or vacuum seal it shut. That would cut down on the smell leaking out and keep out the moisture.

Q

See you asked and that got a few other people thinking about it. That is what is so cool because sometimes we forget to ask and then get here and there is a good idea.

Vacuum sealing is precisely what I do with granulated garlic and onion powder. If you have trouble getting the lids to keep a good seal, try boiling the lids for a short time and allow them to dry and cool. This makes them tacky and they hold better. :)

Archived