MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

New cases of botulism from green beans

Violet

LOL I'm allergic to chicken those are canned pear halves. We love canned pears. I have another shelf of canned meats, beef, turkey, and pork and also some meat soups such as turkey and beef stew and also bean soup with ham and spaghetti sauce, salsa, pickles, and jams.

This pic was taken a couple years ago. It's of the "fruit section." I should take some updated ones because I have gone canning insane since then and now can all year round. I mainly took the photo because of Burnie, the cat. LOL He loves rearranging shelves and making beds. Makes it impossible to work well, but he makes me laugh so I let him be a pain.

OK , now I'm really spooked . I have several jars of green beans in the pantry, I know I canned most of them, but there are a couple that I'm not sure who did them, I think my sister who I totally trust to do things right. Lids are all tightly sealed and everything looks good , But , my big question is this. If I boil the beans for 10 minutes before serving , would that take care of any potential botulism? If not, I just may trash all of them, don't know if I could feed them to my little ones (great- grands)

Well, if you're not 100% sure, I don't know. I found a quart of beans the other day that someone gave me. I wasn't sure if they were pressure canned or not...so I opened them up (they smelled and looked fine) but I threw them away, simply because I wasn't completely sure.

The old adage "When in doubt, throw it out" would seem to apply here...

People used to boil for 10 minutes to kill any active toxins, but I would still be nervous and would probably toss if I had doubts of how they were originally processed. Botulism toxin is odorless, tasteless and colorless and does not necessarily have to be associated with spoilage. Since it is so dangerous in small concentrations, one would not know if all of the toxin was actually destroyed.

Archived