MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

For Gout sufferers

Campy

Eating cherries has been known for many years, but they are not always in season and dried ones are expensive. I find it easier to take one or more 500mg Vitamin 'C' tablets daily, which they recently found will reduce Uric Acid levels by 17%.

I just found out that you can get gout in your knees.

A man at church has it there along with his feet.

I try to talk to him about ways to change his diet to heal his body of this problem, but he doesn't believe me.

Oh well, you do what you can.

You can get the Gout in any joint. It is related to Arthritis. The most common place however seems to be the big toe. You cannot "heal" the body of the problem. All you can do is try to suppress the cause of it as much as possible.

I'm getting Arthritis and I also occasionally still get the Gout and the difference is that the Gout is like having a handful of broken glass tossed into your joint. Wouldn't wish that on anybody.

Vitamin C really makes a difference. You can take rose hip tea as well. This works with any kind of arthritis.

Really? I did not know that. Thanks so much I'm going to give this a try. I have RA and all the Dr.s want to do is give me all the drugs I want, but nothing "Really" seems to get rid of the symptoms for long, or take away the pain for more than a few hours.

Do you hve a recomendation on what size dose? I'm willing to try lmost anything as lately it has just gotten so outta control. Even with my meds.

Canned Nerd,

What do you mean by not being able to heal yourself of the gout. Do you mean that the minerals that are built up between the joints causing the pain can't be removed through a change in diet, or do you mean that you will always be suseptable to the problem?

From everything I've read, if you change your diet, ( the root cause of the gout,) you can eliminate the symptoms,(the build-up of mineral deposits in the joints.)

I have never had gout, so I can't give a first hand report. I was suffering from athritis, even in my early 20's, but my dietary changes totally cleared it up. Whenever I stray from healthy eating, the symptoms come back. Is that the way it is with gout?

The reason I ask is because gout runs in my family on my Dads side and I want to be proactive in preventing it. I also desire to help others who are suffering from it.

I've never heard anything about Vitamin C helping RA or Arthritis, only reducing the Uric Acid that causes the Gout.

Homemaker, Uric Acid is a natural ingredient in the body so you cannot get rid of it. All one can try to do is reduce the amount of it in the body so it does not crystallize. I don't know what I would change my "diet" to since my Gout is brought on by stress. Some days though a nice spinach salad will cause it, other times it may be cauliflower. One time it was a good sneeze.

My sympathies on your Arthritis and if diet suppresses it, congratulations. Mine tends to surface when the weather changes and hangs around for a few days.

The pain in my back that I've had for over 30 yrs is gone. I started taking 5 Gm vit C twice a day. It was a gradual relief and the pain returned if I forgot to take it. After several months I can take half as much though. My other joints have benefited too, but my back was so very painful. I used to sit on the side of the bed every morning for at least an hour before I dared tried to stand or do anything. Now I can get right up and start my day.

I started taking it to detox from so many pain pills and then realized the vit c was helping a lot more than the pain meds.

Wow Crabgrass, that's awesome!

That's why I never go to the doctor for any ailment I have. I just hop on the internet or do some book searching to find the root cause of the problem and make changes in my life. Often times, while I'm correcting one problem, I'll find that some other little thing will clear up as well.

I have lately been hearing that Vit C helps the inflammation factor of so many rheumatalogical disorders and have stepped up my own intake and maybe it is doing its part in helping mine as I have various types of arthritis, too.

Our son lives in Thailand and his doctor told him that he needed to stop eating MSG. They use it a lot over there and it is one of the prime causes of gout according to him. It has really helped our son to avoid flare ups.

Naturally occuring MSG can even cause a flare. The sea weed Kombu is especially high and is where our current MSG was originally extracted from.

Here's a bit of info on MSG.

Some common foods and ingredients are as follows: hydrolyzed vegetable protein (contains up to 20% MSG), protein hydrolysate, "natural flavors," "seasoning," "spices," seasoning salts, AccentÔ , RL-50, hydrolyzed plant protein, bouillon, meat tenderizers, most prepared spaghetti sauces, most sausages, some bacons, most fast-food, "natural ingredients," kombu extract, vegetable protein, chicken or beef broth, luncheon meats, processed or dried foods with "flavor packets," most potato chips, most canned soups, most frozen foods, most international foods, and even such ethnic foods as gefelte fish and matzo balls.

http://www.atlaschiro.com/ce1_4msg.htm

This doesn't mention gout particularly but I know my son has had great relief from keeping it out of his diet.

Other foods mentioned in connection with gout attacks are red wine, chocolate, aged cheeses, nitrates, and aspartame. Any and all of these things are worth a trial elimination to see if they might be the cause of attacks.

:bighug:

:wave: Luna, I've been mising your posts lately. Glad to see you here AND to see the link for goat problems,,,,LOL.

:bighug2:

Wow,

I've been wishing I could have goats where I live, but after reading this site, I may want to reconsider. I don't know if I'd have the strength to "re-join the general population and live a normal life" if I experienced a goat trauma.

The pain in my back that I've had for over 30 yrs is gone. I started taking 5 Gm vit C twice a day. It was a gradual relief and the pain returned if I forgot to take it. After several months I can take half as much though. My other joints have benefited too, but my back was so very painful. I used to sit on the side of the bed every morning for at least an hour before I dared tried to stand or do anything. Now I can get right up and start my day.

I started taking it to detox from so many pain pills and then realized the vit c was helping a lot more than the pain meds.

Hmmmm..............this is interesting. I have had back pain every since I delivered my now, 14 dd. and if taking a couple Vitamin C's would help, it would be sooo worth it to me.

Thanks for sharing this information with us.

Michelle in middle Tennessee

Archived