MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Vacuum Sealers!

Jingles

I can't remember who recommended a food saver to me, but I just wanted to say

Thank You! :darlenedance:

I managed to get all my pasta, dry mashed potatoes, salt, dry milk and cereals vacuum sealed today!

That thing is more fun the a barrel of monkeys!!! :cele:

Now I need to get more bags to finish all the stuff I have to do! Thank you again to who ever said I would be much happier with that one. So easy and SOOOO much FUN!

Don't forget Emergency Radios, Matches, socks, underwear, shower gels, meds, candy and anything else you need to weather proof that 'll fit in a small bag. :cele:

Ogre

What Ogre said! Also, batteries, coffee, tea bags, small hand guns,ammo, etc.

I absolutely love mine. I'm on my second one. This one has the fast/wet options compared to the original one I had/still have.

Oh man.... Now I really need to get more bags! Two rolls went SOOO fast! Now that I know how to use it I plan to start making ready mix packs. We love lentil soup so I plan to make up a soup packet with all the ingredients in packs to be added together with water.

I just love my new toy. :)

Welcome to the world of the true FoodSaver user! :wub: I buy a lot of pint and quart bags since I get on a vacuuming run I'm not patient enough to use the rolls. For liquids you learn to fast freeze in shallow container before vacuum sealing so it lays flat in the fleezer.

And yes, don't forget things in the garage to protect from the elements. I did some long metal rods using a pint roll that would have rusted away for sure since I knew it would be a long time till I needed them. And then there is the gardening supplies as winter sets in; the supplies in the First Aid Kit......and on.

Cheap? No, but I purchase most of mine on eBay. They are not FoodSaver 'brand' but are compatible and work great. You can get 50 pint bags for about $12-$15 and quarts about $5 more, plus 100 quantities and rolls of all kinds. Cheaper than the stores.

The FoodSaver website also occasionally has deals.

I get mine at Sam's club. Foodsaver brand. I get a 6 roll pack ( 4 large,2 small size rolls) for $39. It's gone up in price of course, but with the rolls you can use as little or as much as needed. And theres no shipping charges.

I buy thick strong generic supermarket freezer bags. There's a trick to creating a vacuum channel with your finger. If the item is non perishable and needs it I double bag with some dessicant sachets in between.

Ogre

• 2 weeks later...

Always looking on eBay for good deals, I just picked up 50 pint FoodSaver bags for $9.51 which included the shipping. Keep your eyes open. The deals are out there. Just don't be bidding against me. :D

• 2 weeks later...

bumping this thread for a question...

I really like my FoodSaver - it's tricky sometimes getting the suction started but once it's going...

Would there be any reason why I *shouldn't* use clean milk bags for vacuum sealing dry stuff? Maybe not for food (in case there's still a residue).

Have you thought about getting the attachment that you use for sealing canning jars? There are 2 sizes available, one for small canning lids and one for the larger widemouth lids.

For items not going into the freezer I store in jars...cereaL, oatmeal, grits, rice, mac & cheese, all dehydrated foods, etc.

Sometimes items like pasta or anything with sharp edges can puncture the bags. Mice can also chew through a bags.

Have fun with your new toy!

Would there be any reason why I *shouldn't* use clean milk bags for vacuum sealing dry stuff? Maybe not for food (in case there's still a residue).

I don't know what a milk bag is, but if your FoodSaver is not specifically designed for sealing other than FoodSaver Bags and its stated in the manual (like the new units), you run the risk of burning out the sealing element, so do so with knowledge. The newer units have a wider, hotter sealing element and can handle contact with different types of material for sealing.

milk bags - is that a Canadian-only thing? Cool... I just assumed they were international... Milk comes bagged in thick, clear, plastic ~ 3 bags fit inside a larger "brand" bag totalling 4 litres in volume (somebody's even made a website about it: http://home.cogeco.ca/~husky66/Milk/ )

My FS is newish (2 years old) - but I'm not sure if I'd qualify it as a "wide" sealing thingy - will have to go check out their website.

Thanks for the tip. :)

You could probably email them with your model number and ask them the question, but I think 2 years is not within the frame of their newer design. But they should be able to tell you the good or bad of doing it.

Archived