MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

New things from Ball

Violet

There is a new version of the Ball Blue Book. It has peach products on the front. It was $6.99 where I got it, but I HAD to have it.

The new boxes of lids are platinum colored, with lots of room to write on them. Very simple design, which is nice.

They also have new stainless boiling water bath canners and also flat bottomed enameled ones. This is good they FINALLY have flat bottoms since you are not supposed to use the ridged ones on electric stoves and flat topped stoves.

There are some new recipes in the book, too.

Here the Nesco dehydrator, 500 watt, is on sale for $40 at BiMart.

Homemaker,

Not necessarily. Sometimes things go "out of fashion" and are replaced with newer things. You would need to check with someone who knows about recipes that are considered unsafe as opposed to just older and not deemed used as much anymore.

So far, I don't know of any that are removed due to safety issues recently.

Not other than Clear Jel is called for in the few relish recipes that used to call for flour. Things like the corn relish. I think in the BBB the thickener is ommited all together, but not 100 percent sure.

Anything before 1994 would be outdated, and then some since then, too. Keeping current publications is important, for sure.

The Ball Canning website should have the book listed for ordering soon. The page is "under construction" and I'm waiting to get confirmation of the date when that will be. The book there sells for $5 + s/h and hopefully will remain the same.

I found only one place to order online, KitchenKrafts.com, for $7.95 + s/h but I balked at the shipping price just for the book. I will wait.

• 1 month later...

I finally found the new version of the Ball Blue Book at Lowe's! I don't think I've seen canning supplies at our Lowe's before. It was out on an aisle display with canning jars and starter kits.

Archived