MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Food Mill

chefddr

So, since I am planning on getting my canner sometime soon, I am wondering, should I invest in a food mill?? It says for applesauce and salasa, but I like my applesauce chunky and the same with my salsa and tomato sauce for that matter. Do you think it would be a good investment if I am going all the way with other stuff, and when I get my water bath canner I saw jelly bags???

Thanks for your advice.

I don't use a food mill. I peel, slice, and core my apples before I puree it for applesauce. I do mine from a raw state, then cook, and then process.

Salsa, I dice either by hand or in the food processor. I don't puree it, either.

As for making juice for jelly, the best way, in my opinion, is to buy a steam juicer. They cost about $100, but worth it ! Stainless steel is the best as it is nonreactive, unlike aluminum.

The jelly bag is too small. Instead, I suggest some muslin, or an old, clean pillowcase, or flour sack towel. Lay in a colander and it works fine.

I plan on getting a mill before applesauce season.

I like the idea of cutting up the apples without peeling and coring and just dumping them into the pot. I'm assuming the food mill will do a much better job of straining than my kitchen strainer did last fall.

I bid on several on e-bay, but they were going for nearly as much as a new one from Lehmans. I'm glad this was posted so I could have a reminder to order one. That is, if my husband gives me the go ahead. I've been spending so much money building my new chicken coop, and now we need to replace our subfloor in the bathroom. Might have to wait another year.

I bought a food mill last year and I love it. I used it mostly for tomatoes- you can put them in there just quartered up and it takes out the seeds and skins. Awesome. I used it for ketchup, spaghetti sauce, and pizza sauce mostly. I bought the Roma mill (I think that is the name) from Emergency Essentials.

Thanks for the advice looks like I will be getting one for my list of stuff. (the list keeps growing!) The pizza saice, you wouldn't happen to have a recipe for that would you? I am always making homemade pizza for my kids and the friends. That would be a fun thing to do with the kids too. Thanks in advance!! N ow if only that check would come in!!!!! I am dehydrating eveything I can get my hands on since I am bored to death and need to do something productive...

So, since I am planning on getting my canner sometime soon, I am wondering, should I invest in a food mill?? It says for applesauce and salasa, but I like my applesauce chunky and the same with my salsa and tomato sauce for that matter. Do you think it would be a good investment if I am going all the way with other stuff, and when I get my water bath canner I saw jelly bags???

Thanks for your advice.

I have a Foley food mill that I found at a thrift store it looks like this:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/9a/Food_Mill.jpg

It's great for tomato sauce because it retains the skins and seeds that can make it bitter. I haven't tried it for anything else yet but I do have some blackberries waiting to be made into jam now that I think about it, yay!

I also got the Roma Food Strainer. I got mine from Lehman's for Christmas. I also got some extra gaskets (because hey, a gal's gotta be prepared, right?)

Here's the link to the Roma Food Strainer (mill) at Lehman's:

http://www.lehmans.com/store/Kitchen___Can...p;from_search=1

I've canned a lot of tomatoes and salsa, but this year I want to can tomato sauces, so I'm really looking forward to using the mill to remove the skin and seeds.

No blanching and peeling, yippee!!!

I have a Foley food mill that I found at a thrift store it looks like this:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/9a/Food_Mill.jpg

It's great for tomato sauce because it retains the skins and seeds that can make it bitter. I haven't tried it for anything else yet but I do have some blackberries waiting to be made into jam now that I think about it, yay!

I BETTER GET TO MY STORAGE STUFF QUICK! MY BIO MOM HAD A FOLEY AND I GOT IT, WONDER IF I STILL HAVE IT? IF NOT I WILL SCOUR CONSIGNMENT AND SECOND HAND STORES FOR ONE AS WELL AS THE INTERNET. THANKS SO MUCH. LET'S PRAY I FIND IT THAT WILL SAVE ME SOME $$

Look what I found! A vintage brochure in PDF "75 Ways to Use the Foley Food Mill"

Nice find! ::bookmarked:::

It says to use it to crush graham crackers for cheesecake crust. I never would have thought of that.

Thanks for the advice looks like I will be getting one for my list of stuff. (the list keeps growing!) The pizza saice, you wouldn't happen to have a recipe for that would you? I am always making homemade pizza for my kids and the friends. That would be a fun thing to do with the kids too. Thanks in advance!! N ow if only that check would come in!!!!! I am dehydrating eveything I can get my hands on since I am bored to death and need to do something productive...

Mrs. Wages makes a pizza sauce mix that I used last year. But there is also a recipe in my big Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving. It says you need 9 lbs of tomatoes to make it. Here is the recipe

Makes about four pint jars

Pizza Sauce

13 cups fresh plum tomato puree

1/2 cup bottle lemon juice

2 tsp dried oregano

1 tsp freshly ground black pepper

1 tsp salt

1 tsp garlic powder

1. Prepare canner, jar, and lids

2. Place half of the tomato puree in a large stainless steel saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring occasionally. Maintaining a constant boil, add remaining tomato puree, 1 cup at a time. Stir in lemon juice, oregano, pepper, salt, and garlic powder. Boil hard, stirring frequently , until mixture is the consistancy of a thin commercial sauce, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat.

3. Ladel hot sauce into hot jars, leaving 1/2" headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if necessary, by adding hot sauce. Wipe rim. Center lid on jar. Screw band down until resistance is met, then increase to fingertip-tight.

4. Place jars in canner, ensuring they are completely covered with water. Bring to a boil and process for 35 minutes. Remove canner lid. Wait 5 minutes, then remove jars, cool and store.

Archived