MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Dehydrating cooked beans

Is it possible to dehydrate beans that you've already cooked? I figure that must be how they make the beans in the red rice and beans boxed mix. How else could you cook dried beans in 25 minutes without a pressure cooker?

I wanted to bring beans in a 72 hour BOB, but don't think it would be feasible to cook them for 2+ hours on the go. And the cans might be too heavy to carry for too long.

I dehydrated cooked beans once. Mine came out kind of broken, but that might be due to it being my first time, not sure. They rehydrated very quickly, and tasted pretty good though. I vacuum stored them, and they lasted at least a year, until we ate them all.

I made a box of Zatarain's Red beans and rice and one of the ingredients is "Precooked dehydrated red beans".

The link above talks about flaked beans, but the ones in the box I made were whole. I suppose if I can't make them myself, I could bring a box of Zatarain's in my BOB. The hope was to try to make it myself, to save on cost.

Hey guys, I don't know about doing them yourself, but I just ordered dehydrated beans from Harmony House.

http://www.harmonyhousefoods.com/Bean-amp-...t41_p_1848.html

I actually called and talked to them at length about these before I ordered them. These beans have been partially cooked and then dehydrated so that you can cook them completely in about 15 minutes. They have already been soaked and cleaned as well. He said that they are really popular with hikers because they don't require all of the prep time and not near as much water either.

I haven't tried them yet, but he convinced me and I ordered them. My plan is to include them in our BOB's as well.

I'm finding information about how to dry them, but not finding anything about safety issues.

• 1 month later...

Archived