MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

That's One Goal Met!

Gooood morning all!

Well, after four years in this house, with this garden, I have reached one of my personal goals.

I have a verrrrrry small yard, but I couldn't live without a garden, so I cram as much as I can into it. This includes a teensy-tyntsy strawberry patch. This year, as usual, I fought the birds and the mice for the berries -- and I'm winning! The other day, after three days of of picking and putting berries in the fridge, I ended up with enough berries to make a batch of (drumroll) strawberry jam! :cele: The recipe on the pectin box said it made eight half-pint jars, but I ended up with the eight, plus two bigger-than-half-pint recycled jars that I didn't seal, so we can eat some now without feeling guilty. So now, at the start of the season, I finally have eight gloriously beautiful jam jewels in my pantry, and I do believe I might even get enough next week for (gasp) a second batch! Squeee!

The other reason I am so jazzed about this is that this is the second batch of jam/jelly IN A ROW that has actually set up properly for me, after years and years of making SYRUP. (Last year I made wild grape-elderberry jelly. That was the very first batch of jelly I ever made that jelled properly. Ever.)

So yay and squee for me!

Oh, well done - what a great feeling!

"syrup" - LOL - BTDT!! Always good with ice cream.

Archived