3 1/2 cups oats (quick or regular), toasted

1 cup nuts

1 cup raisins

2/3 cup butter or margarine, melted

1/2 cup packed bown sugar

1/3 cup honey, corn syrup or molasses

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Toast oats by spreading on a cookie sheet or large baking pan. Bake 350 degrees F. for 15-20 mimutes til lightly browned. This gives the oats a nutty flavor and helps the mixture stick together better.

Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl with a wooden spoon.

Press into well-greased 15x10 inch jelly roll pan.

Bake at 350 F. for 12-15 minutes. Cool and cut into bars when cool.

Variations: Substitute chocolate chips for raisins. Add 1/2 cup coconut. Substitute 1/2 cup sunflower seeds for the nuts.

• 6 years later...

organized chaos posted these chewy granola bars over on Zombie.

I've made them twice, the first is the original, the second I changed around a bit.

-

http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopic.p...=50&t=49112

Homemade Granola Bars

Ø 2 cups quick cooking rolled oats

Ø 1 cup flour

Ø ¾ cup packed brown sugar

Ø ¾ cup dried cranberries

Ø ½ cup wheat germ

Ø ½ teasp salt

Ø ½ teasp ground cinnamon

Ø ½ c chopped pecans

Ø ½ cup vegetable oil

Ø ½ cup honey

Ø 1 large egg

Ø 2 t vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350. Line a 13 x 9 inch pan with parchment paper.

In a large bowl, stir together oats, flour, brown sugar, cranberries, wheat germ, salt, cinnamon, and pecans.

In a smaller bowl, thoroughly blend oil, honey, egg, and vanilla; pour into flour mixture, and mix by hand until the liquid is evenly distributed. I use rubber gloves for this. Press evenly into the prepared baking pan. Make sure it is packed in tightly.

Bake 25-30 minutes in the oven or until the edges are golden. Cool completely in pan before turning out onto a cutting board and cutting into bars. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap.

Notes

They freeze well (wrap them up two bars to a bag for an easy trail snack out of the freezer.) Yes, they are high in fat, but if you are hiking hard, you will burn it off. And they are better for you than a candy bar. These bars take well to using applesauce or baby prunes as part of the oil. Any nut can be used, and feel to change the fruit or add chocolate chips, etc to the batter. These bars are dang good- no matter how you change the recipe. With homemade items try to eat your product within 3-4 days of baking it. Most homemade items can be frozen safely in advance (cut into individual portions, wrap, and store in large freezer bags.) Most frozen items are good for 1-2 months in a freezer.

------

Homemade Granola Bars -- my variation, Leah

Ø 2 cups old fashioned oats

Ø 1 cup flour

Ø 1/4 cup coconut, 1/4 cup choc chips, and 1/2 cup raisins (chopped in the Magic Bullet)

Ø ½ cup wheat germ

Ø ½ teasp salt

Ø 1/2 cup sunflower seeds

Ø 1 Tablespoon flax seed

_,½ cup vegetable oil

Ø ½ cup honey

Ø 1 large egg

Ø 2 t vanilla extract

In a large bowl, stir together oats, flour, brown sugar, cranberries, wheat germ, salt, cinnamon, and pecans.

In a smaller bowl, thoroughly blend oil, honey, egg, and vanilla; pour into flour mixture, and mix by hand until the liquid is evenly distributed. I use rubber gloves for this. Press evenly into the prepared baking pan. Make sure it is packed in tightly.

Bake 25-30 minutes in the oven or until the edges are golden. Cool completely in pan before turning out onto a cutting board and cutting into bars. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap.

-

With the flax seed, whole grains and dried fruit, these are very good for... ahem, shall we say - bowel issues? LOL

Sure!

I like the nuts et al small, and chop them in the Magic Bullet; so would probably snip the marshmallows in half.

Quick N Easy Granola Bars (nice chewy bars)

3 cups oats (quick or regular rolled)

3 cups stuff (nuts, berries, chocolate, drried fruit, leftover cookies, leftover cereal--seriously whatever!)

1/2 cup melted butter (I personally use way less)

1 can sweetened condensed milk

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mix well.

Line a 10 x 15 inch baking pan with foil and grease the foil. (I just grease the pan and they come off fine) Spoon batter into the pan. Bake at 325 degrees F. for 25 to 30 minutes, until golden brown.

Enjoy!

Becca

organized chaos posted these chewy granola bars over on Zombie.

I've made them twice, the first is the original, the second I changed around a bit.

-

http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopic.p...=50&t=49112

Homemade Granola Bars

Ø 2 cups quick cooking rolled oats

Ø 1 cup flour

Ø ¾ cup dried cranberries

Ø ½ cup wheat germ

Ø ½ teasp salt

Ø ½ c chopped pecans

Ø ½ cup vegetable oil

Ø ½ cup honey

Ø 1 large egg

Ø 2 t vanilla extract

Notes

They freeze well (wrap them up two bars to a bag for an easy trail snack out of the freezer.) Yes, they are high in fat, but if you are hiking hard, you will burn it off. And they are better for you than a candy bar. These bars take well to using applesauce or baby prunes as part of the oil. Any nut can be used, and feel to change the fruit or add chocolate chips, etc to the batter. These bars are dang good- no matter how you change the recipe. With homemade items try to eat your product within 3-4 days of baking it. Most homemade items can be frozen safely in advance (cut into individual portions, wrap, and store in large freezer bags.) Most frozen items are good for 1-2 months in a freezer.

------

Homemade Granola Bars -- my variation, Leah

Ø 2 cups old fashioned oats

Ø 1 cup flour

Ø 1/4 cup coconut, 1/4 cup choc chips, and 1/2 cup raisins (chopped in the Magic Bullet)

Ø ½ cup wheat germ

Ø ½ teasp salt

Ø 1/2 cup sunflower seeds

Ø 1 Tablespoon flax seed

_,½ cup vegetable oil

Ø ½ cup honey

Ø 1 large egg

Ø 2 t vanilla extract

-

With the flax seed, whole grains and dried fruit, these are very good for... ahem, shall we say - bowel issues? LOL

Thanks for the recipes! I made your first recipe tonight. We haven't eaten them yet, but can't wait to. I made them the same, except put dried cherries and coconut in them, instead of dried cranberries. I doubled the recipe. After they were baked, I drizzled melted white yogurt coating, over the top of them. They are in the fridge, till the coating sets up!

On the subject of granola.... Does anyboy have a good recipe for LOW FAT granola breakfast cereal? I've found tons of them that call for 1/2 c of melted butter or something simular. Kinda seems to defeat the purpose to start my day with all that extra gunk.

On the subject of granola.... Does anyboy have a good recipe for LOW FAT granola breakfast cereal? I've found tons of them that call for 1/2 c of melted butter or something simular. Kinda seems to defeat the purpose to start my day with all that extra gunk.

My recipe for the easy granola---I don't put any butter in it except to coat the bottom of the pan. I just typed the recipe the way it wsa given to me, but I mix the oats and stuff with the milk, bake it and it's done. They are soft, but it still tastes good with milk. I sometimes mix in a bunch of peanut butter.

I just registered recently and this is my first time posting so just jumping in (I actually typed this a moment ago and hit upload but it didnt' come across - sorry if this double posts). Here is the homemade cereal I make that is a result of taking a lot of recipes from around the net and just making changes here and there until finding the right combo for me. My favorite is just to sprinkle with a little splenda and add some cold milk.

Homemade Cereal

• 3 cups uncooked Irish oats
  • 3 cups bran buds cereal (or grape nuts)
  • ½ tsp ground cinnamon
  • ¼ tsp ground clove
  • 2 small bags blanched slivered almonds
  • 1 cup dried cranberries
  • 1 cup white raisins

Mix all ingredients in large mixing bowl or pot. Store cereal in tightly covered container, mason jars, or zip bags. Recipe makes enough to fill a little over 2 – 1qt mason jars.

Serving:

• Packet of Splenda then cover with milk
  • Stir into favorite yogurt
  • Packet of Splenda then cover with hot milk for a hot cereal
  • If hot milk unavailable – Packet of Splenda…add 1 tsp non-fat non-dairy powdered creamer (for creaminess) then cover with hot water.

**If making as hot cereal – pour the hot milk (or hot water) over cereal and let stand 3-5 minutes to soften the bran and oats.

Carol

CDT that looks great to put in Yogert. My kids like it that way but I find to buy the cereal is expensive, and you don't get much.

Going to try the others too, I may be looking at unempolyment so I might have a lot more time to make things.

I hope you enjoy this one - I can't believe how expensive cereal is getting and find using this recipe pretty economical. If quick oats are on sale I will sometimes use those in place of the irish oats.

With the size boxes I can get at the grocery, one box each of the oats, grape nuts, cranberries, and raisins is enough to make around 2 to maybe 2 1/2 recipes of this cereal - the seasonings are in small amounts and always on hand which just leaves the almonds, which could even be replaced with other nuts (I replaced with chopped pecans once when I found a nice sale on them and it worked out equally well).

I made them again.

I chopped the 1/4 cup coconut, 1/4 cup choc chips, and 1/2 cup dried cranberries, 1/4 cup toasted almonds until it was like jam, and added it that way.

It was even better; moist and every bite was fruit-filled. I'll be making them that way from now on.

Honey Granola

3 cups dry oatmeal

1/2 cup margarine (1 stick)

1/2 cup honey

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup each nuts and dried fruit (optional)

First melt the margarine in a 3-quart saucepan over medium heat. Add the honey and salt. Heat the honey briefly with the margarine and then add the oatmeal. Stir it up nicely. Turn the mixture onto an ungreased cookie sheet, the kind with shallow sides; a large 9 by 13-inch pan works well too. Spread the granola out evenly and bake it at 375° for 10 minutes. It should be a toasty brown. Now remove it from the oven and allow it to cool and crisp up right there in the pan. Store it in a sealed canister. Add the nuts and dried fruit, if you are using them, when the granola is cool. Serve it with milk like regular cereal, or if you are hankering for a divinely inspired treat, get a big bowl of plain yogurt, and sprinkle a large handful of granola on top of it.

Granola

Everything but vanilla is optional. make up the volume with extra oats or substitute.

10 cups rolled oats

1 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed

1 1/2 cup water

1 1/2 cup vegetable oil

1/2 cup honey

1 1/2 teaspoon salt

2 teaspoons cinnamon

3 teaspoons vanilla

1 cup wheat germ

1/2 lb. shredded coconut

2 cups raw sunflower seed

1 cup sesame seeds

3 cups chopped almonds, pecans, walnuts or a combination

1/2 cup molasses sugar or honey

Raisins, if desired

Mix dry ingredients. In another pan combine the brown sugar, water, oil, honey, molasses, salt, cinnamon, and vanilla. Heat until sugar is dissolved but do not boil.

Pour syrup over the dry ingredients and stir until well coated. Place in pans or sheets. Bake 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Bake 15 minutes longer if you want it crunchier. This keeps 6 months. Makes 20 cups.

To make bars of either recipe, add everything before cooking with enough extra honey, nutbutter of choice, or other 'binder' to make it stick. Score while hot then cut into bars when cool. Scoring while hot makes it easier to cut. You can substitute any dried fruit, any dried nut, chocolate chip, 'candy' chip, or add cereal grains or prepared cereals (cherrios) for any part of the volume that isn't oats. You can use steel cut oats for a chewier texture. Nutbutters can take the place of the fat in the recipe. Add a bit more liquid to get a similar consistency if the nutbutter is thick. (peantubutter, almond butter, tahini, etc.) You make nutbutter by processing nuts with enough oil to consistency. You can do that first then add the granola if you want.

Cheryl

Edited by bibliomane