MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Waste not, want not

I started a series on my blog several weeks ago called Waste No, Want Not.

I thought it might be good to have that here as well. What do you do to minimise waste in the kitchen?

Some of my ideas that I've posted about using leftovers:

• Freeze all leftover veggies together in a container (add LO veg as you go along). This is great for a stew or casserole, or once you have enough, thaw & heat for a mixed veg side dish.
  • You can also freeze LO meats for stews & casseroles. If you have 1 chicken breast, dice or shred it to stretch it in a stew for a full meal.
  • I once bought these green tea bags & they tasted NASTY!!! I ended up using them in my baths for a refreshing & healthy tubby. I've also wet them down & swiped my face with them. They make a GREAT astringent.
  • Leftover & end pieces of breads can be cut in cubes for stuffing or croutons, some get whirled in the food processor to use as bread crumbs.
  • Mashed taters make a yummy potato soup, potato (pan)cakes or yet another filler for meatloaf or pierogies. Shepherd's Pie isn't picky about the taters that we dollop on top, either.
  • Do NOT forget to compost your LO vegetation either- peelings, apple cores, "forgotten" leftovers, etc.

I have many, but wanted to go ahead & get this started.

I also would love some more ideas for my blog (with permission & credit given to the OP)

I freeze apple peels and cores and then add them to the pot when I'm boiling apple juice or cider to make apple jelly. It can add a punch of flavor and I believe the peels have a lot of pectin in them too (I could be wrong about that though).

I have also dumped the peels and cores and a cinnamon stick and some cloves into a small saucepan, added water to cover, and and boiled them on the stovetop when I needed an "air freshener" to get rid of an old cooking smell.

I use a lot of leftover veggies, from green to starchy, to make dinner or lunch frittatas (kind of like a baked omlet).

I also use leftover veggies chopped fine and shredded LO meets to make stuffing for my daughter's American style onigiri (rice balls) in her lunch.

Leftover pork/beef roasts (that aren't too heavily seasoned) and chicken is great shredded and made into quick enchiladas for lunch/dinner.

Assorted leftover meats like chicken pieces, porkchops, and links of sausage, can all be simmered together in a pot of spaghetti sauce and served with pasta. Yummy!

If there are enough pieces to go around, I put them in whole - although I do sometimes remove the chicken skin. If you really need to stretch the leftover meat cut it off the bone into big chunks.

Leftover cold spaghetti noodles - a variety of pasta salads - even just adding a dash of italian dressing and my kids love it.

Leftover dried beans - a variety of soups - easy to turn them into a Taco Soup, add cornbread, another meal

Leftover bits of vegies and meat can be thrown into Ramen Noodles for a tasty variation.

Leftover rice - add tomatoes, spices and seasonings, a flavorful Mexican Rice.

Leftover slaw - add to pitas or sandwich rolls instead of lettuce.

Usually, I freeze any leftovers for use with something later, very little makes it to my mulch bin.

LO chicken, shredded and made into chicken salad sandwiches or into macaroni/egg noodles for hot/cold casseroles.

LO beef, steak or roast, sliced thin for french dip and other sandwiches.

LO rice, add cinnamon & or nutmeg, sugar & milk. Or fry until browning add soy sauce and maybe a beaten egg for fried rice.

Archived