MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Ugh! Foam on jam

Jori

Here's what I do -

sfter we take the pot off the stove I just use a small strainer (like for tea) or a slotted spoon (holes) to remove the foam. I just run it around the pot (slowly) and the foam gathers on the spoon, then I dump it into a small glass (I put this on toast or ice cream and eat it right away). The holes let the jam/jelly go back into the pot and the rest ' sticks' to the spoon. TIP: if you run the spoon unter cold water first it works better as the foam 'clings' to the spoon / strainer.

:AmishMichaelstraw:

I also skim the top to remove the excess foam. DH uses it immediately on toast to see if it tastes good. :008Laughing: 1/2 - 1 tsp of margarine while cooking sometimes reduces the foaming.

You use a clean, cold metal spoon. Then you also add 1/2 tsp. margarine or butter to the pan before you cook the jam. This small amount of butter is safe to add.

Keep skimming as the foam is air. You want to remove as much air from the jars as possible.

Yes, I skim the foam, but add a bit of butter or oil to the jam to cut down the foam.

My 'foam' is skimmed into a bowl and used that night for 'snack'. It isn't as dense as jam but certainly tastes yummy. :) Nothing like warm jam on bread with butter. :happy0203:

I always just skimmed the foam off the top with a big metal spoon, because I was afraid to add the butter even though the instructions said it was okay. But now that Violet and C4C have said it's safe, I'm going to start doing that!!! Although DH will be sad his "jam flavored foam" will be gone... :D

Archived