MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

The Tools of the Missus

HazelStone

Moving day.

Our wedding is in a month; this spring my fiance graduated and got a great job (talk about beating the odds).

We've moved into a townhouse together and yesterday the movers came with our Stuff. The kitchen is currently the only well-appointed room in the house, thanks to all the wedding shower gifts. An enormous cast iron frying pan from my in-laws graces the stove.

One of the movers comes in with my fiance's vacuum cleaner in hand (mine was left in Indiana). "Here you are...Missus!" he says with a grin. I remind him with a grin that a big cast iron frying pan is also a tool of The Missus. He scampers off to haul in something less dangerous.

He comes back with my toolboxes- a decent set of ratchets and sockets and bits, a quality drill-driver, as well as a big toolbox full of computer/network tools. He spies my fiance and says "here you go!" and makes to give the armload to my fiance. He told him "No...those are HERS!"

Small pause as the mover guy blinks and some assumptions/impressions get re-arranged. :lol: The moving crew was also surprised to learn that we BOTH carried Leatherman tools, but the camping gear was *mine.*

Hey, one big reason Sweetie is marrying me is that I generally have my s--t together! Screw pretty linens and fine china; my "trousseau" was assembled from the more testosterone-ridden corners of Sears. I made sure Sweetie learned to shoot, too. I'm the one who leads the "preparedness" stuff, though Sweetie is on board once I explained the reasoning. It's a good thing Sweetie is making good money; if we expand our food storage I'll have to go for higher end stuff. Husband-to-be is a much pickier eater and won't tolerate the semi-vegetarian diet I'm content with. Where's a good deal on powdered or freeze-dried cheddar and that canned bacon?

When we were having our kitchen floor re-finished, the installer spotted my heat gun. I heard him mention to his partner that it looked like my husband's heat gun was digital. I spoke up and said it was and talked about how when I bought it I wanted something of good quality since I would be using it for lots of home projects.

You'd think he'd have gotten the hint that I wasn't June Cleaver. Because our new flooring raised the floor level, the pantry doors would need cutting down. He brought me in to give me specific instructions on how my husband was to do it, and for us to give him a call if he couldn't figure it out. I had to assure him that I had already cut it down once when we had new vinyl put in 12 years ago, and that it would be an easier job this time around since I had my table saw. I bartered for it in exchange for some landscaping work and by flushing out a well for a friend that was moving.

A little after that he asked if my husband had any drill bits because his broke. I told him that I would go get my set I had gotten for Christmas.

There was no excuse for him to assume the way he did. After all, his installing business used to belong to his mother, and he had taken over for her when she retired. She is his partner and assists him on the big jobs for a little extra income.

In today's world, we can't hold to the traditional roles. It's so difficult to make it and people are having to put more time in at work. I'm blessed that my husband can allow me to stay at home. There certainly isn't much money to spare, so I had to get over my notions of what is a woman's job and what is a man's job. If something needs done and there isn't money to hire out, or time for my husband to do it, I'm going to figure it out myself.

After watching the floor installer, I know I can do the bathrooms myself. I'll be doing that this winter, right after I bust out our old tile shower and build a new one from scratch. Don't worry... I've got my tools, and lots of books!

*LOVE IT*!!! :24:

I buy the dried real bacon in zip-lock packages from Sam's Club, but I don't know how long they last. After I open it, it goes into the freezer for easy access in salads and cooking.

I buy the dried real bacon in zip-lock packages from Sam's Club, but I don't know how long they last. After I open it, it goes into the freezer for easy access in salads and cooking.

I had forgotten about the OP's question on bacon and was wondering 'What has this got to do with women and their tools?!?' :D

I had forgotten about the OP's question on bacon and was wondering 'What has this got to do with women and their tools?!?' :D

One of the first lessons most newly-married women learn is to keep bacon on hand... a "tool", if you will. ;)

If supper's late, start frying bacon and he'll forgive you ANYTHING! :lol:

If he doesn't want to eat green beans, fry bacon and then add onions and cooked green beans to the crumbled bacon. Or add it in casseroles, quiches, salads, etc. If he sees bacon, he'll *usually* try it!!!

:24::24::24:

Yes indeed!

My fiance is a bacon FIEND. Which is funny since he is Jewish (his family obviously doesn't keep kosher anymore). Whenever I cook anything with bacon in it, I have to add 50% extra for the Bacon Thief and even then threaten him with something sharp and pointy to guard the remainder. Adding it to green beans or salads doesn't work though- he just picks it out. :frying pan:

He is almost as bad regarding cheese. If our supply chain collapsed and we had to rely on storage, the only way he's gonna touch the canned tuna or the rice n beans, or cornbread n beans is if there's a little cheese sauce thrown in.

If our supply chain collapsed and we had to rely on storage...

(Velveeta stores about as long as plastic, unopened, on the shelf... ;) )

:happy0203:

(Velveeta stores about as long as plastic, unopened, on the shelf... ;) )

EWWW. When I did Atkins Diet I used Velveeta now and then. Many grocery stores at least refrigerate it for appearances. But I went to Walmart one day where they had the Velveeta in one of those big end-of-aisle bins that you usually see closeout DVDs tossed into. Instead, the bin had Velveeta. No refrigeration unit or anything. Just sitting there, at room temp.

I wasn't incredibly fond of it to begin with, but I've sworn off the stuff since then. :shakinghead:

Archived