MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

tried and true internet ordering sites

pscathy

I am about to purchase a pressure canner and a dehydrator. I have been pricing on several sites, but wondered if you have had positive experiences with specific sites, or know ones to avoid? Buying online is so convenient, but of course has glitches, too, if there are problems with the products, so experience counts! Has anyone had experience with ordering with CanningUSA.com?

Thanks, Cathy

CanningUSA.com is a reputable site and I've heard no bad reports about them. In fact, I've heard no bad reports from any of the sites that routinely sell canning supplies. The hard part of course is the shipping costs for those big items.

Cathy,

I know you are wanting to know about ordering online, but if you have a BiMart down there you can get a Presto canner on sale for $69. The 23 quart size. I don't know if they are on sale this week or not, but they do run the sales off and on during the season.

I don't know of a cheaper place to get them than there. Good canners, and if you want a weighted gauge, you can get an optional 3 piece weight set for about $15. Then, you don't have to get the gauge tested. Just use the weight set instead. It may not be possible to get a gauge tested where you are, you would need to check it out. If you are getting a Mirro, I have been told by a store here they are not going to be able to get parts for them so easily. Just a heads up.

Walmart usually has the Nesco dehydrators cheapest. BiMart also puts them on sale.

Not sure what brands you are looking at, but I am trying to help you save some $$.

I like the Nesco/American Harvest because you can expand them to go up to 12 trays.

Normally I order parts and things from RedHill General store online. Never any problem with them.

I would like to add that I bought my Presto pressure canner at Walmart and I got my Nesco dehydrator at Bed Bath and Beyond. The dehydrator was $59 and while I was there I picked up two extra trays. I did have to go to Nesco's site and order the screens for small stuff and extra leather trays because BB&B only carried the trays.

If you can save the shipping by combining trips while you're out and about I certainly would. I just saw recently where the Walmart near me had Nescoes that were clear plastic! So cool to be able to see the stuff drying I bet. LOL

You don't want the clear ones. You want to have opaque to prevent color and nutrient loss.

Also, for the herb screens, you can buy the vinyl ( or whatever it is) mesh window screen and use that. Not necessary to buy the actual screens. Just be sure you don't use galvanized metal or fiberglass , but they would be sharp, anyway.

Cathy,

I know you are wanting to know about ordering online, but if you have a BiMart down there you can get a Presto canner on sale for $69. The 23 quart size. I don't know if they are on sale this week or not, but they do run the sales off and on during the season.

I don't know of a cheaper place to get them than there. Good canners, and if you want a weighted gauge, you can get an optional 3 piece weight set for about $15. Then, you don't have to get the gauge tested. Just use the weight set instead. It may not be possible to get a gauge tested where you are, you would need to check it out. If you are getting a Mirro, I have been told by a store here they are not going to be able to get parts for them so easily. Just a heads up.

Walmart usually has the Nesco dehydrators cheapest. BiMart also puts them on sale.

Not sure what brands you are looking at, but I am trying to help you save some $$.

I like the Nesco/American Harvest because you can expand them to go up to 12 trays.

Normally I order parts and things from RedHill General store online. Never any problem with them.

thank you Violet, Cannednerd and oink. There is a BBandB near here, and of course a Walmart. I have never used a pressure canner or cooker, just have vague scary memories of them from childhood. I was going to buy an AllAmerican 25 qt one. I have read on here that it has a great reputation, and all the goodies work great, and no rubber gaskets. For a novice scaredy cat like me that all sounds reassuring! And my husband offered to buy it for me! So, honestly, would you get an all american under my circumstances? I am glad to hear that the Nesco Garden dehydrators are good. I don't think the WMart here sells them but I will check the BBandB.

BTW, my maiden voyage into canning (well, 30 years ago I made and canned some awesome pickles) recently was raspberry jam. It was beautiful but not sweet enough and not jelled enough. Not sure what went wrong, but maybe it was that I used the directions from the pectin????

Anybody need any raspberry topping for ice cream or whatever???!!!! I don't suppose I can start over and fix it any way?? hmmm, guess not :>)

Cathy

Cathy,

It is just personal preference on the canners. For me, I have a chronic back condition that won't allow me to lift the weight of the All American and doing the big bolts all around it would be difficult, too. I have to be able to take my canners along with me when I teach classes, too. Sometimes the students do hands on lessons and need to use my canners. Sometimes they are just visuals in the lecture classes. Anyway, I am just not physically able to carry them around.

So, I use Prestos. I have had one of them for at least 30 years. They other maybe 10 or 12 years. I know not replacing the gasket would be nice feature. I have gone to using a three piece weight set on my Presto, so it is used like a new All American that has both systems.

If you would enjoy that nice All American, then of course, get one. That would be really nice.

For your jam, what kind of pectin did you use ? I normally don't hear there jam is not sweet enough. Normally it is that it is too sweet.

Ok, to fix it easily. Get your self some Instant Clear jel, then when you open each jar, stir some in and some more sugar. That, or if you want to go to the trouble, you can get regular cooked Clear jel and recook the whole batch with some and add more sugar.

Or, another option, get some Pomonas Universal Pectin. Add some of it along with more sugar and recook and process the whole batch. Pomonas is a really different type of pectin. Takes some experimenting to get the hang of using it, but it will gel water. Amazing stuff. You order it online or a few special health food stores have it.

Clear Jel is something you get ( also often online and not in most stores) that is used for canning pie fillings, but can sub as pectin in jams. It has a different consistency than pectin, but works. You use 7 T. per pack of pectin called for in cooked jams or 3 to 4 T. in freezer jam recipes.

It would be hard to use regular pectin and remake it and have it turn out since you want to add more sugar.

If you have any questions, ask away. I will do my best to help you out.

You don't want the clear ones. You want to have opaque to prevent color and nutrient loss.

Also, for the herb screens, you can buy the vinyl ( or whatever it is) mesh window screen and use that. Not necessary to buy the actual screens. Just be sure you don't use galvanized metal or fiberglass , but they would be sharp, anyway.

oh well then, I guess it's good that we're not talking about a homemade drier then. Because they mostly have a CLEAR cover over the top to help make heat. Guess I'll have to scrap those plans then.

Sorry I tried to help around here.

I'll keep my ideas and opinions to my self for now on and let all the experts around here do it. geesh.

Oink,

Your opinions are more than welcome. Please, don't take offense.

The discussion was about buying one. I didn't see any mention of making one. I know some do make their dryers. One gal at class last night told us of one her dad had made out of wood and had an adjustable thermostat that went up to 160 degrees.

Virginia,

Depends upon whether or not it has a good heat source, a good fan, and adjustable thermostat, too. The white ones (Nesco/American Harvest) , or the ones like Excalibur are still best. You want to keep out the light while drying as much as possible to retain color and nutrients.

If it is Ronco type or other brand without the fan and thermostat, then we do not recommend their use at all.

Archived