MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

for those who have heart palpitations

cowgirl8

GOODMORNING4DOGS.gif

To answer your question Virginia, I have a feeling that being over tired, stresses out and a lot of other things can help cause them. Stress causes so many things.

I use to have them a lot, but, now these past years with my pace maker, I don't have them very often, but, I do think it is when I am stressed or real tired.

haveagooddaywithflowers.gifHUGSMOUSEINSUGAR.gif

GOODMORNING4DOGS.gif

Virginia, if you have not had your heart checked out lately, please do so. You might be needing a pace maker, or it could be something else.

When I have these flutters, it is just a few seconds and they are gone, and like I said, I haven't had them in a while.

haveagooddaywithflowers.gifHUGSMOUSEINSUGAR.gif

When mine are bad they make me tired. I dont sleep well when they are bad, i think this has to do with the tired part for me. But Virginia it wouldnt hurt to have a talk with a doctor.

Has anyone had any effect with the avocados? I love when my heart is quiet, i'm afraid to not keep them in my diet.....lol

I recently had a full blood workup, an echocardiogram, EKG, and all are fine. So they just send me on my way, oh well. I was on a low dose blood pressure med, took myself off that and my pressure has been fine, but did not relieve the fatigue. I then got off sleeping pills, thinking those might be the cause. They did make me more sluggish I think, but no improvement in the palps. Of course, getting little sleep causes fatigue I know, but I have had insomnia for years and never felt this tired. Only been on Ambien for about 7 months and it did help me sleep, but not worth the extra tiredness and palps. I know I could go back and ask for numerous other tests, but I only had a very pitiful major medical policy that only pays when I am in the hospital, then the deductible is $5,000 a year, times 3 if I happen to go three times. No office visit, tests, labs, etc are covered. Hate to say it, but 65 next year is looking good just to get Medicare.

I rarely go to the doctor, so it was a big step for me to have this done, but the fatigue is so bad, along with the palps I had to try. So frustrating, and I know doctors can't find everything.

Thanks for the input, I may try the avacados even though I don't care for them. I'll just take them like medicine. Going to get some magnesium, too.

I am so glad that you posted about this cowgirl. I have exactly the very same PVC's. I have had it checked, wore a monitor for a month and the cardiologist said it would not kill me...something I just got to get used to. I honestly don't believe you ever get used to your heart acting up. I have found that MSG in foods really sets mine off so I have to watch for that. I have actually read that MSG causes them. I stay away from caffeine. I am on atenalol but it doesn't keep them totally under control. Stress and being tired does make them worse! I have been told that hawthorn is excellent for the heart and would help PVC's but have not really dedicated myself to taking it yet....I really need to. We have a small hobby farm and some days the PVC's are so bad I just don't feel like doing anything. I am going tomorrow and buying some avacados. I really hope they work for me. Again thank you so much about posting about this. It is comforting to know that other folks suffer from the same health ailments and understand where you are coming from.

Hello All...my first post, but I had to get in on this discussion. I have MVP too, but I was also diagnosed with Wolfe-Parkinson-White Syndrome a few years ago. It appears to be pretty hard to diagnose, because several doctors missed mine. I had a lot of palpitations and one morning felt like I was going to pass out and after a trip to the ermergency room visit , I was referred to a Cardiac physician, who in turned referred me to a Cardiac

Electrophysiologist physician, who said my Wolfe-Parkinson-White Syndrome needed to be "fixed". So he did a Cardiac Ablation, which cured my Wolfe-P-W syndrome and I am almost palpitation free now. The reason I mention this is that if your palpitations are troublesome, you might want to see a Cardiac Electrophysiologist Physician to see if this could be your problem. This syndrome can be life-threatening. It is not a relatively common condition like MVP, which won't usually cause death like WPW can.

I agree, if you ever feel like your going to pass out during an episode, seek medical attention. During mine, i've never felt dizzy or faint. I can work out during a bad episode with no trouble.

I tried to find affordable avocados yesterday when i was in dallas, cheapist i could find were a dollar a piece. I've cut back on buying them so i'm worried my palpitations will come back. They must go back to 3 for a dollar, they must....

Okay, I just completed a long, detailed account of my own palpatation issues and then realized that I would rather not have a such a personal health history available to anyone online! So, I deleted it. Here is what my doctor and I have come up with:

Here's what I avoid like the plague: caffeine, artificial sweeteners, alcohol :( , MSG, excessive salt consumption, prescription medication.

Here's what I try to avoid: lack of sleep, stress, chocolate, fats.

Here are the herbal supplements I started taking after I developed an intolerance for a commonly used prescription medication (prescribed to reduce heart palpations and borderline high blood pressure):

Flax Seed Oil Capsules - 3 a day (breakfast, lunch, dinner)

Hawthorne Caplets - 2 a day (breakfast, dinner)

Garlic - (1 tab w/ lunch)

CoQ-10 - (1 tab w/dinner)

In addition, I also drink several cups of chamomile and lemon balm tea daily - either iced or hot. If I'm feeling fluttery (usually because of stress) I also take valerian capsules - I use a special calming blend that contains additional lemon balm.

I also walk a minimum of 2 miles a day or garden a minimum of 2 hours a day.

Since starting this regimen, my heart palpatations have greatly decreased. Oh, I still have them and always will - Thank you Grandma and Mom! But, they are so much more bearable.

But, it just so happens that I LOVE avocados, so for the sake of my heart health, I guess I'll have to incorporate more of them into my daily diet!

• 1 month later...

Archived