MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

for those who have heart palpitations

cowgirl8

I've had really bad heart palpitations for about 20 years. Through lots of testing, i've been told that just how my heart is. Sometimes its so bad it keeps me up at night. Sometimes it flutters which seems forever, but probably last 5 seconds. Some of the time is just a sputter here and there, sometimes my heart will only beat 5 normal beats, then a real hard beat due to a premature contraction and that goes on for days....but anywho, over these years, sometimes its really bad and sometimes i can go weeks without ever feeling my heart beating(which is good because that means it doesnt miss a beat) I started to note, when it does it and what i'm eating when it does it and when its very quiet. What i may have learned is this.. i love avacados and eat half of one in my salad everyday. I dont like buying them when they are over 50 cents a piece, so, i go periods of not having them in my salad. Avacados went on sale for a long period and they were very hard, so they keep forever until you set them out so i bought a bunch that lasted weeks. I had a very long period of constant getting them. All of a sudden, the price jumped to 99 cents, so, i didnt get any for a while. This is when my palpitations came back with a vengence. They didnt go on sale but i bit the bullet and paid 89 cents each in the name of science :rolleyes: . After a few days of them back in my lunch, palpitations gone.

If anyone here suffers from this, you might want to try avacadoes, its not going to hurt you any and they work really fast...at least with me they do....and if you give it a try let me know :P

Hi Cowgirl,

My husband was diagnosed with PVC's (with almost identical symptoms to yours), there is no cure and one treatment<that I know of> to ease the palpitations. I will try getting a few avocados(79 cents each here, HEB) to check this out, but since he isn't a big eater of them, I will have to come up with some different ways to get him to eat it. :rolleyes:

Thank you for your observation. A doctor in Ft. Worth helped my husband quite a lot with the pvcs, this is after 3 other doctors said there wasn't anything they could or would do about it. Hope the avocados continue to help. Hey, at least they are delicous and sooo good for you too.

Cowgirl, thanks for talking about this experience. MY mom had heart palpitations and I think now that I am almost 50, from your description of how that works, I am having them. ( I thought it was just anxiety!).... well, avocadoes are terrific in my book too but they cost twice what you are paying, way up north here, but that would be worth it to try them , half an avocado about 4 times a week and I will see if that works when I can get them. It's certainly worth a try. I grew up in southern Calif and we had them all the time back then. I have missed them.

you might want to try avacadoes, its not going to hurt you any and they work really fast...at least with me they do....and if you give it a try let me know :P

Unless you're latex-allergic, LOL

I'll have to try the avocados, though, as I DO have heart palp's. However, I don't think I'd have the mind frame to get to them in the midst of one, and mine normally don't last longer then a few minutes anyway. So you think if I just incorporate them on a more reg. basis they'd help, right?

Yes, just add them to your diet daily. I have most of my palpitations in the evenings, well, that's usually when I'm sitting still and can really feel them. I eat my avocado for lunch, usually just 5 times a week, I don't keep my healthy diet on weekends, meaning I don't eat my salad for lunch for sat and sun....I've found that just a half at lunch 5 days a week almost totally stops all palpitations. I'll get a sputter or two, but not like when I'm not eating them where my heart sounds like a 8 cylinder running on 5....One note, my palpations never never make me dizzy, lite headed, or weak, so if yall are having those also, I'm not sure if avocado should be taken over going to a doctor.....

doesnt it just drive you nuts :huh: Sometimes mine will get no recognizable beat, just flutters. Those scare me and i usually get a self injection of adrenaline...lol. I do have some make me cough a bit, but i think that it just tickles something.

My middle daughter was born with no wall between the lower part of her heart. She had other problems before they found that and she had been looked at by tons of doctors. I remember like it was yesterday, she was sitting in her bucket(as i called her carrier) sitting on my sister in laws couch. She had this tiny cough and did it constant, like dripping water, one cough every 10 seconds. I thought, hum, she must be getting a cold. Anywho, thats how we found the heart problem, i took her to her doctor when we got home and he listened to her heart for 30 minutes without saying a word and i knew before he said a word there was something bad wrong. Apparently, the hole was so big, a noise was not heard so thats why so many doctors missed it. Anywho, off topic, but hearts are so mysterious and have a mind of their own....

We can get them sometimes 3 for a buck. I really love that deal and will buy all the rock hard ones i can put in my fridge. They will stay hard until you set them out over night, sometimes it takes 2 days. So you have to be ahead of yourself if you get unripe ones. Also, there are 2 shapes, one that is rounder and one that is longer. The round ones have huge seeds and less meat. The longer ones will have a tiny seed usually and the most meat. I'm pretty much an expert on them now... :eclipsee_Victoria: Also, some have lumpy skin some smooth, i havent found much difference other than the lumpy has a slightly stronger flavor...

My grandmother, mother and I have MVP heart murmurs... thats what causes it for us. My son had additional stuff , but he literally outgrew it , his problems were only discovered on the operating table at age 6. He went into V Tachs. the other issue resolved itself without killing him and his ekg was normal by the time he was twelve. I gave him CoQten for several years. Maybe it helped. He was just having tubes put in his ears, finally.... I always wondered bout why the chinese doctor wouldnt just do the tubes at age 2... maybe she knew instinctively about his heart, but it took echo's before we identified how severe his MVP was and the ekg revealed a second electrical impulse, so it was like a double pace maker situation, and if it stopped, it could have killed him, but it went away and he was fit for the service. Strange, a little miracle. MVP heart murmurs are in about 10% of the population.

did your daughter have any corrective surgery for her heart wall?

I know the left atrium, on top is enlarged in me from my lupus and it may be a factor now.

Yes, she had her first surgery when she was 6 months, it kept her alive long enough for the open heart she had at 1. She then had to have intestinal reconstructive surgery at 2 and at 8ish, she had her whole spine fused. A doctor told me when she was a newborn, birth defects come in 3's.....and he was so right...

I wonder if it's the good healthy oil in the avocado that helps? I know the heart muscle and the brain muscle require large amounts of good fats, even cholesterol, to function properly.

In some cases, the avocado may be helping with insulin regulation by slowing down the entry of sugars into the bloodstream. When I have sugar, I have to be sure to counter it's effect with protein and fats or I get heart racing.

She's all good now, just turned 24. She's a jailer at the local sheriffs office. She remembers none of it except the spine fusing. Most was done when she was an infant. Her only memory of the heart surgeries is the scars on her chest. I do have pictures of her second heart surgery, the first I wouldn't let anyone take pictures. I was so freaked out, she only had a 75% making it through it and if she didn't I did not want pictures. I was a veteran on the second major surgery and let them take pictures. Those pictures still freak me out when I look at them.

Interesting about the magnesium connection. I recently found out the magnesium is also important for brain chemistry, especially if you are aggravated or have depression and aggravation. It has worked miracles on someone I knew who was really starting to act out, just amazing how well she is doing now. Peoples diets in general today are lacking so many of these vital things if they are not knowledgeable about them. Also about the protein and fats relation to blood sugar and the heart. Very interesting. Thanks for sharing.

i think there is a connection to food and your health, but, you can go too far like my mother in law. She gets wind of the new miracle food and she will go overboard with it. She's done them all too, from eating garlic raw(most unpopular one) to eating her weight in blueberries in a day.....I wont even go into vitamins and suppliments, which, i think is the root to most illnesses

My mom had a scary experience with heart palpatations a few years ago and it was determined that the combination of stress and caffeine were giving her the palpatations. She did go to emerg and get the proper testing done with follow-up visits to a cardiologist who suggested the caffeine link. She does not drink any caffeinated beverages (teas, coffee, colas - even decaf still has caffeine so she has 1/2 cup daily for her "coffee-fix" LOL), no chocolate or medications with caffeine.

It actually helped me because I've had the same problem and just figured it was my crazy body going crazy, again. Even a cup of decaf coffee will send my heart flipping and running fast. Now mind you, a fast approaching storm with the quick change in air pressure does the same thing!! :shakinghead:

When I broke my hand last summer, I was given a prescription for tylenol 3's and I took them one night without realizing that they contained caffeine. Eek!! I spent the entire night wide awake, still in pain, with heart palpatations - not fun for me the next day running after the kiddos :blink:

Very interesting reading these posts - gives me more to think about and adjust in my daily life.

I'm glad I'm not the only one with this problem, not that I'm glad you guys do too, but you know what I'm saying. I'll be anxious to hear if anyone tries it and it works.

I do drink coffee, but only in the morning and the rest of the day I drink water. I use to think that high fructose corn syrup did it to me, but, it was just that I would eat a caramel at the grocery store every time I went there which was practically every day(daughter was a gymnast and went 5 days a week, a person can only sit for so long so I wandered around stores) I would get a caramel out of the bins where you could pay a quarter and get 3. It would happen when I got home later that night and it was the last thing I ate, so I blamed it....The only thing that did to me was make me look at products that had it and gave me a fear of eating them. I have weaned myself off any HFCS product, except for a stray caramel ever now and again......Bread also made me worry, so, weaned off most breads. MSG, weaned off, that makes me feel funny. I've worked up a real good food phobia, lol....My newest one is no going out food, I don't eat out, take out, buy out. Not that there's any place here to eat out, but, going to town 40 miles away to eat out is history.

I only drink coffee in the mornings usually now, two cups, but today I kept drinking it to just be awake enough to pay attention. I have been ok lately, though, about the palpitations,but this could set them off again. I will watch for it.

Cowgirl, I don't have tons of supplements and herbs but there are some that do help various conditions, and herbs, used wisely, are healing and supplement things, that I need help with. I do not spend lots of dollars on it or go overboard with any thing like that. Using reason and care is very important, no matter what substances a person chooses to use.

Everything in moderation is my motto. If you think avocados will work, start with half and don't eat one for each meal. If you think garlic will lower you cholesterol, add it to you meals, don't eat 5 or 6 raw cloves a day. That's all I meant by supplement usage. But I do believe vitamins are poisoning people. I guess unless you have nothing to eat and can only get what you need with a vitamin. But in today's world, there is no need to take a vitamin if you live in the US, just eat a well balanced diet.

I fell for one fad about 15 years ago, my mother in law read an article which stated that our soils have been depleted of selenium?, she said that this was very important to keep free radicals out? in?, blah blah. She got me some of this and like a sheeple, I took them. Not only did I not feel wonderful like she said it would and did her, but my big toe nails fell off, completely, fell off, pop, no nail left, both of them. Took many years for them to look normal again. I quit taking this and will never fall for a fad supplement ever again. I found out years later that this pill could do that. The toe nails I could see, so what did it do inside I couldn't see. Most aren't regulated and who knows what is in them. Who knows how much selenium we actually need, maybe taking concentrated amounts is bad, maybe the man made version isnt even the same as what we do need. Sometimes they don't know until its too late. But that's just the way I think, doesn't mean some of these things don't work for others.....

Wow Cowgirl8, I have those palps since I started going thru menopause. I swear it feels like a fish flipflaping around in my chest and sometimes it feels like my heart is gonna pop right out of my chest. My doc said "oh its just the menopause" :rolleyes: Man, how many symtoms can they blame on the big change........ Thank you all, I'll be tryin both the avacado and magnesium. Reb

• 2 weeks later...

hi all,

ive had the same heart palp problems for about 30 years now. ive cut out caffeine, sugar, etc and it has helped alot, but i do still get them now and then. one thing ive learned to do when my heart was jumping around was to make myself cough once or twice and it always stopped the fluttering and set things back to a normal rhythm.

about the avocados, when they are in season and relatively cheap, ill buy up a ton of them. for the ripe ones, ill scoped them out, mash them up a little bit and add a few drops of lemon juice, then i put some in small freezer bags, get all the air out, flatten them and put them in the freezer. the key is to get all the air out of the bag. they last a good long time that way, and i pull out a bag when i want some. i have some that are about a year old and still good as new.

hope that helps someone

jazzy

Archived