MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Help me decide which dehydrator to get

Prickle

I've found 2 Nesco 700w dehydrators in my price range. One has the standard round trays and the other has square trays.

The square trays are supposed to hold a little more because of the space in the corners.

But the round trays seem more readily available for adding on.

Which way would you go?

The 700 watt Nesco.( Not their clear model. You want it to be opaque.) I know Nesco has a square one, but for the value, I think the round is great.

I have had 2 Nesco/ American Harvest ones for years. The first on is still going strong after about 30 years. The second I have owned for probably 10 or so. The trays fit on each one, so I can use as many trays as I want. I can run both and have 24 trays at a time, if I want.

Cowgirl, you are the first to tell me they have done this. Interesting. So, does it cut down on the drying time ? Do you just set the thermostat the same on the top and the bottom ?

Maybe you have come up with something really good here.

I have the round one too, works great. In fact I bought two more. My sole requirements for any dehydrator is that it is opaque, and that it has an adjustable thermostat. I have dried onions on a perforated pizza pan set atop my water heater in the closet of an apartment, and it worked just fine, but I still like thermostats best.

I have the round Nesco dehydrator sold by Walmanrt a couple years ago, and it works great. I promptly ordered two more trays and six of the plastic screens, so I can do six trays at a time. The screens are wonderful for things like dehydrating the frozen mixed veggies or sliced celery, any thing that gets tiny and would fall through the tray.

I went with the round nesco snackmaster as a starter machine too. It works really well even now when I dry with 8 trays each with a fruit leather tray on them. And all the additional trays were available locally.

My dehydrator came yesterday! Whoo!

Now I just have to figure out where to put it. I have almost NO counter space. This kitchen is probably 3 times that size of my old kitchen and has 1/2 the counter space...go figure ;)

I was going to put it in the garage, but it's quieter than I thought so I'd rather have it in here.

Anyway, I blather...I get to dehydrate!

Archived