MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Swine is in our local schools now

ANewMe

Well, my good friend/coworker's teenage daughter has been diagnosed with Swine. They told her if she wasn't showing symptoms to come on to work. Eight cases now, I guess we can expect that to snowball...right?? How can they somewhat manage it if they don't quarantine people? One of the cases was at the school we work at, then you have her and she has been exposed and dealing with kids in the office all day....how long before we see high numbers??

8 swine flu cases reported in local schools

By Pamela Hitchins

Published:

Friday, August 14, 2009 2:27 PM CDT

Swine flu has hit Vicksburg Warren schools, officials confirmed today.

Eight cases have been reported in seven schools, said Cindy Nash, Vicksburg Warren School District nurse coordinator.

The schools are:

• One student at Bowmar Elementary

• One at Dana Road

• One at South Park Elementary

• Two at Warrenton Elementary

• One at Sherman Avenue

• One at Vicksburg High School

• One at Warren Central High School.

A case at Beechwood Elementary was incorrectly reported to The Vicksburg Post Friday morning.

“We’ve had it since the beginning of school, and we knew we were going to get it,” Nash said. Vicksburg public schools opened Aug. 4.

“We’re monitoring it closely and following CDC guidelines in conjunction with those issued by the state board of education,” said Superintendent Dr. James Price.

Those guidelines call for teachers to be alert and take precautions, but not for school closures.

The Centers for Disease Control in Atlanta signalled a global pandemic of the disease June 11, following diagnosis of cases in 70 different counties. Cases have been reported in all 50 states, Washington, D.C., Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands.

Nash said cases in Vicksburg have been mild.

“So far what we have seen is that the swine flu is very much like the normal flu except perhaps for the gastric problems — diarrhea and vomiting,” Nash said today. “Fortunately, we haven’t had any complications, and no hospitalizations.”

One of the Warrenton Elementary cases was actually diagnosed before school started, she said, and the child did not come to school. Another child, however, was playing with him, and later developed a fever and was diagnosed with the flu.

“We are just monitoring the other children (in their classrooms) as well as their siblings,” Nash added.

Schools are emphasizing proper and frequent hand-washing, cough etiquette and thorough cleaning of desks, counters and other classroom areas.

Tuesday, the Mississippi Department of Health reported that 369 Mississippi cases of H1N1 swine flu had been identified since May 15. The number includes only four from Warren County, and so it could increase by at least one when updated by the VWSD cases. More than 28,000 cases have been confirmed nationwide, with at least 436 deaths. The other cases have not been identified.

In late July, a child from a coast city in Jackson County was Mississippi’s only death from the illness.

A major CDC recommendation is for children with fever that may be flu to stay home, away from other children. “The main thing is to monitor your children,” Nash said. “If they are showing signs of any gastric problems, vomiting or diarrhea, or have a fever of 100 or more, keep them home.”

Other symptoms include cough, sore throat, runny or stuffy nose, body aches, headache, chills and fatigue.

Some doctors are prescribing an anti-viral medication which slows down the progress of the influenza virus, and the state health department states that doctors have good supplies of at least two such drugs.

As far as vaccinating against the illness, heading into the normal flu season many health officials are trying to determine a course for giving flu vaccines to school-age children and others at risk for the disease.

Complications of vaccinating school children include not just the numbers of children involved but also the need for parent permission and the advisability of having to give two or more vaccinations for the preventive measure to be effective.

In addition, anyone with allergies to eggs cannot receive the vaccination.

Somehow, I'm rather grateful that my childrens' and my egg allergy will prevent us from having to take this vaccine...

They have never received a seasonal flu vaccine in their lives, and neither have ever had influenza. Makes you go "hmmm...."

It's here too. Sadly, it hit the reservation first. IHS (Indian Helath Services) is poorly equiped to handle it, so they are actually telling people to "go to town" (town being the city 75 miles away) for treatment. So much for quarenteen.... :shrug:

school started yesterday. the schools had the swine flu in them at the end of last year. I have a child in each of the schools. I wander who is going to bring it home 1st. the school nurse at the highschool is a friend of mine and she said the pricking incedent in the middle school last year over whelmed them. ( MY SON HAD TO HAVE A AIDS/HEP TEST) so I am not looking forward to this year.

school started yesterday. the schools had the swine flu in them at the end of last year. I have a child in each of the schools. I wander who is going to bring it home 1st. the school nurse at the highschool is a friend of mine and she said the pricking incedent in the middle school last year over whelmed them. ( MY SON HAD TO HAVE A AIDS/HEP TEST) so I am not looking forward to this year.

Pricking Incident??? What's that??

a boy took a diabetc lancet and stabed other boys in the hallway at lunch. I got a call at work from the nurse who said the health department will be there in 1 hour. they need to fax/send someone from the school with a permissom slip. they need it now! about 12-15 kids involved.

School started today in this district. DDD send her two kids (little boy´s first day at big school) and she was surprised all children had to wash their hands at the door.

Nearly banged my head at the wall when she told that and asked if ever she went shopping for the list I gave her ages ago. Uh no...?

She now swears she´s getting sterilisationgel, gloves, masks, overshoes and whatnot tomorrow. I´ve been telling her for a year (she can afford it all, no worries there) to build up a supply and get medical gear.

Now where is that head thumping smilie?

:frying pan:

Can´t find it but this is what I want to do to her.

if i may ask where are these cases at you mintion the school but not the state.

i am glad i homeschool my kids but they can still get it from the stores or church also i watch my niece and they could get it from her. need to get more preps for this

SK..I'm in Mississippi

Gofish....now didn't you just want to tear that little boys tail up??? Good Grief...I can't imagine!!

My middle son rides to school with the school secretary...can't tommorrow because her son is sick, but she thinks it could be sinuses because no fever. I told her I read that some peopel have no fever. So I tell her I'll call my bestfriend who is a teacher assistant and she said that she heard her kids were sick too!!! So I called my BFF..K~ and yes her kids are sick...sore throat...congestion but she's not keeping them home from school. They are "toughing it out"..."sure it's just sinuses"....kids will "let her know if they need to stay home". In the meantime she's fussing about all the kids in her class that are there and sick!! She said they were sending lots of them home and trying to catch stuff early and get kids home if in doubt. She said their Principal said it wasn't looking good. I've not heard anything from ours. I just hope if mine get sick they all get sick at once...I think??...it would be easier than one right after the other and trying to keep a job!!!

a boy took a diabetc lancet and stabed other boys in the hallway at lunch. I got a call at work from the nurse who said the health department will be there in 1 hour. they need to fax/send someone from the school with a permissom slip. they need it now! about 12-15 kids involved.

And the child was.....suspended? expelled?

So I called my BFF..K~ and yes her kids are sick...sore throat...congestion but she's not keeping them home from school. They are "toughing it out"..."sure it's just sinuses"....kids will "let her know if they need to stay home". In the meantime she's fussing about all the kids in her class that are there and sick!! She said they were sending lots of them home and trying to catch stuff early and get kids home if in doubt. She said their Principal said it wasn't looking good. I've not heard anything from ours. I just hope if mine get sick they all get sick at once...I think??...it would be easier than one right after the other and trying to keep a job!!!

Does your friend realize that she is doing the same thing the other parents are doing?

Hey Yall

Just returned from a week in Georgia to hlep my sister. I shoul dhave stayed home. The second day when we went out, oldset child complains of sore throat, stuffy nose and cough. Went on down the line and then to me. I wasnt at home.. and guess who left BOBS in NC? :wub: Well, I bought vitamin C 1000mg and gave all but 2 year old... one in the morning, one at night. That REALLY helped! Now that I have come back though I have noticed that I am *a little* worse. I am sweating profusely, and not really hungry. No fever though. THe cough was kinda bad yesterday. I am popping lozenges I got last year on sale like candy, but it keeps me from coughing so much. Im almost 7 months now, and it hurts my abdomen.

I homeschool, but our local schools dont start back until next week. Im getting kinda concerned. I am debating if I should still go to the cannery for a big stock up that I was planning and hit Walmart up for more vitC and kleenex. I thought I had more time, could wait until this money came in to get everything.. Lord I hope its not swine.

Does anyone know if Collidial silver helps. I KNOW I have read every message in this thread, but I cant seem to remember

OK...so now we not only have swine flu but we also have bacterial meningitis. A first grader in our district died yesterday morning. They are supposedly looking for others she may have been in contact with and they think there are 6 who may be possibly infected. Not only that but I'm hearing from people at schools other than the one i work that kids are sick left and right and leaving or not coming to school.

My son got sick Sunday and I took him in yesterday to find he had full blown pneumonia. His lower lobe was solid white and full. How does it happen that fast???? So they say he can go back Thursday and he seems much better today but I'm very reluctant to send him until Monday because there are so many sick....5 from his class are still out. My Dad has been coming and watching him for us so we wouldn't have to miss work, but as long as he is breathing and hasn't turned blue Dad says he's fine so I'm sure he will think i'm overreacting.

My Best Friend took her 5 yr old with 102 fever, congested....Dr would not swab her...instead tested her for kidney infection???? Her fever keeps spiking and her head and eyes are hurting.

I have been to the Dr. every week for the past month with someone in my family. I can't get one kid well before the other one brings something back and now I'm feeling bad!! Something has to give!!!! :motz_6:

sorry for the rant

That is a real shock ANewMe. Sounds like your son developed this pneumonia almost overnight.

Could it be part of the swineflu cos I hear all around that it nestles deeper into the lungs than a regular flu?

I´d not send a child this ill back to school so soon. My DS had a very unexpected pneumonia when he was around 8 or so and took a long time to really get his strength back.

i'd keep him home too. they want to send them back to soon. DD1 was sent home yesterday with strep throat. Went to my friends house last night, she is the high school nurse. she said she has about 50 kids coming to see her each day. while not uncommon during flu season it is at the start of the school year.

I KNEW it!!! Dad met me at the door this morning telling me he thought I should send Brayden back to school!!! Now, I have to admit he seems fine now. He is very antsy and ready to get out of the house. He's actually quiet hyper....but I don't feel comfortable sending him back. I HATE dealing with my Daddy...for some reason I always feel like a little girl...UGH...

Anyway...I'm going to send him back tommorrow and hope he doesn't relapse or get sick with something else. I have a very big meeting in the am that I have to be at and no way out of it. We'll see what happens. I can tell you...our school district will not close...no matter what...i just don't see them doing it. Too much $$$$

I just got off the phone with my friend. She work at the high school as the nurse. She is a hugger. I love her dearly. :wub: She has the H1N1 flu. :o She is sick and was tested because of her job. She wanted to call all the people she has come in personal contact with. GUESS WHO :o She did not hug me Sunday becouse she had a sore throat. I have been to her house this week. Oh joy.

• 3 weeks later...

My DGS (with autism) has swine flu and a ear infection. A kid in his pre-school class is in the hospital with flu & pnemonia. They think they caught my DGS's early and hopefully he will be fine but she has to watch his temp and breathing. We'll see how he is tomorrow. My DGD was tested, she doesn't have it but they are going to treat her for it because they figure she will get it from her brother.

Last night on the news they announce a confirmed case of H1N1 in our school district. They did n't say which school. I have no children in school - they are all adults.

Perhaps now my DH will take this more serioiusly. He thinks I was a bit over reactive when I started my waterless hand cleaner, latex gloves, making sure we have vitamins, etc.

The hardest part now will be making sure he uses the waterless hand cleaner, etc. He is the eternal optomist and things everything will happen "other places". :wacko:

I am immune suppressed.... so this thing is not joke for me.

7 confirmed cases in my son's school.

30 kids out with swine flu, other flu, viruses, etc.

All but one kid in his special ed room were out, as well as the teacher.

District refuses to shut schools down. Parents pick up the kids, take them home medicate them, send them back on bus the next day. They are completely ignoring the rule that if a kid is sent home sick they have to stay out for at least 24 hours. Not allowed to come back until no fever, without medication. So the kids pass the infection until they get to school, where teacher sends them to nurse, and nurse calls parents to get them again.

Son had strep. 4 days later had flu (not swine flu, but another that is really nasty), now has ear infection. School kept calling me each day to see if he was coming back. Finally told them that he would come back when I was sure his immune system had recovered enough to survive the return to school. Fortunately dr wrote note to cover him until Monday.

Archived