MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Homemade easy cold breakfast cereal

I don't like grape nuts and I don't care for granola as a breakfast cereal, they are too heavy to suit me. I'll not pay high prices for cereal in a box though. This is easy enough.

Start by popping a huge bowl of popcorn. Get all the old maids out by shaking the bowl and then pouring the popped kernals into another bowl. Keep shaking till all the old maids are on the bottom of the first bowl and get all the popped ones out. Set aside.

Now parch some quick oats in a cast iron skillet or heavy stainless pot on the stove until they are lightly and evenly toasted. Mix some cinnamon with the oats if you like and a little salt. You can add dry fruit bits and/or chopped nuts, just as you prefer. If you have too much you can always make oatmeal or granola. LOL I don't do measurements too well.

Next drizzle honey or simple syrup over the popcorn while you toss it using a large metal spoon. Get it well coated. It helps if the honey or syrup has been warmed in a pan of hot water first. You need it thin enough to mix well, but don't water it down. Then sprinkle on the oat mix while still tossing the popcorn with your spoon. Spread it out on non stick cookie sheets to dry and cool before putting it in tight containers. Try not to get too much syrup or oats on each popped kernal so it isn't too heavy. The kernals will shrink a little from their fully popped state, but that is fine.

Well, we made it and have tasted it. The kids were pleasantly surprised!! They couldn't believe it!! :D

Next time I will add raisins which they like in their cereal.

I tossed in a few cinnamon pecans I had toasted the other day in my bowl, quite yummy. :)

I will say this, don't pour the milk and let it sit, it will get soggy quick, or ours did.

This can definitely be made 100% from my 'preps'. Great tip Trish!

Archived