MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Question about dehydrated zucchini

bluegrassmom

I started dehydrating my zucchini & squash recently & it's the first of this that I have ever put in the dehydrator. No matter how long I leave the slices (they are thine) in there, they don't seem to get as firm as other things I have dehydrated. Like potatoes get completely hard...my zucchini & squash are still flexible. They look done, but they are softer than I am used to things being that are dehydrated. Is this they way they are suppolsed to be or do they need to stay in the dehydrator longer?

Some things dry to "brittle", and other things dry to "leathery". Summer squash dries to leathery.

Here's just one place I have in my favorites... I'll have a better link later, but this one has it if you scroll down.

http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles/shaffer58.html

Sound like you've done fine!!! Just keep 'em dry now.

:bouquet:

Yes, thanks for sharing that resource. It looks to be one that needs to be printed off and put in the binder. I knew the recommended time frame was 12 hours. I had gone past that and was still in the leathery stage. How long do you keep it going to make it brittle??

I have no idea, but I can tell you that my dehydrator has a fan. Previously, when I had one without a fan, things took MUCH longer.

If I had to guess, I'd say 8-12 hours, but I'm really not sure. If they're "too close" to dried - but not dried enough - when I go to bed, I shut off the dehydrator and restart it in the morning (don't tell Violet!).

Uh, oh, Violet knows !!! Ha ha !!

I have even been known to do that, depending upon what the food is. Of course, I would not do it with jerky.

I don't know how long it took to do the zucchini. Depends upon how thin it is cut, the humidity in the air, and the moisture content of the zucchini.

Mine is leathery.

You know, there are so many variables when you dry something. Even down to the type of dehydrator you have, if it's raining when you use your dehydrator or how moist your fruits are. Leathery or brittle is fine. :)

Has anyone thought to use a lamp timer on their dehydrator? Then they wouldn't have to turn it off and back on.

Uh, actually, no. I hadn't. I'm glad you brought this up, though. I could certainly turn it off when I go to bed and set it to come on an hour or two before I wake up...or maybe leave it on, but set it to go off in two or three hours. It's still going to need some watching, but this would be more efficient. THANK YOU!!!

Archived