MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

H1N1 supposedly found in a cat in Iowa:

GirlNextDoor

http://www.petplace.com/cats/h1n1-flu-conf...dailynewsletter

A cat in Iowa has tested positive for the 2009 H1N1 influenza virus, state officials confirmed this morning, marking the first time a cat has been diagnosed with this strain of influenza.

The cat, which has recovered, is believed to have caught the virus from someone in the household who was sick with H1N1. There are no indications that the cat passed the virus on to any other animals or people.

Prior to this diagnosis, the 2009 H1N1 influenza virus had been found in humans, pigs, birds and ferrets.

To date, H1N1 influenza virus infection of pigs has been reported in Canada, Argentina, Singapore, the United Kingdom (Northern Ireland), Ireland, Norway, the U.S. and Japan. It has also been reported in turkeys in Chile and Canada. Based on the evidence available at this time, the infections were spread from humans to the animals.

th_FALLGOODMORNING1.gif

I saw this on the news last night.

Well, I think sometimes they test the animals for things when they are unsure of why they are sick. I know Minnie, our dog, was tested for several things this summer when she was sick. They want to be sure to catch something if they can. They also love animals or they wouldn't be vets.

With people, there were so many getting it, that they just stopped giving the tests and just treating them for it.

th_FALLHUGSBEAR.gifth_HAVEAGOODDAY1.gif

I saw this on the news. They said that they tested the cat after someone in the household was diagnosed with it. The family noticed that the cat started showing symptoms after the person did. The family insisted that they test the cat and finally they ran the test. They thought it would just get the family to stop bugging them. They didn't expect to find it in the cat and were surprised when they did.

Somewhere online I hear a dog may also have H1N1 and I hope they run tests on this dog. However there is a 'dog flu' too.... and at first I was thinking maybe that was what the cat had ( its a certain H..#..N ..#, cant recall it just now.). So, then, the test was done on the cat and sure enough its positive.... so now I have to worry about my cat getting swine flu! Sheesh!

Archived