MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Need Soup Recipes (Broth and Cream Type)

I will be having dental surgery/work in 2 stages over the next couple of months. I need some soup recipes for the time following the actual surgeries.

The soups should probably be mainly liquid with few ingredients that need to be chewed. But I don't want to have only broth, so please post your favorite tasty soup recipes.

'

Thanks in advance.

If you don't feel like making a complex soup, consider this:

Make Your Own Cup Of Soup

All of the following snacks are under 25 calories, some are under 10! They are warm, fast and satisfying, especially when you are hungry for something, but don’t know what. All are made by adding 1 cup of boiling water to a packet of low-sodium broth powder. I mix mine in a mug, but a bowl would work just as well.

Sick Woman's Salvation:

1 cup hot chicken bouillon with a dash of lemon pepper. 6 calories.

Maggie’s Favorite:

1 cup hot chicken bouillon with a dash each of onion powder and cayenne pepper. 7 calories.

Tangy Beef Cup:

1 cup hot beef bouillon with a dash of Worcestershire sauce. 5 calories.

Spicy Beef Cup:

1/2 cup each beef bouillon and tomato juice with a shot of hot sauce. 23 calories.

Chicken Curry:

1 cup hot chicken bouillon with a pinch of curry powder, 2 teaspoons dry instant rice, or cooked rice, and a pinch of dry parsley. 21 calories.

Country Compassion:

1 cup hot ham or beef bouillon, 1 teaspoon bacon bits; 1 teaspoon mashed potato flakes and 1/2 teaspoon dry onion. 19 calories.

French Onion:

1 cup beef bouillon, 1 teaspoon dry onion and a small pinch of garlic powder. 10 calories.

French Onion Supreme:

Prepare French Onion above. Crumble 1 saltine cracker into the soup, and add 1/2 teaspoon grated Parmesan cheese. 25 calories.

Vegetable Beef:

1 cup hot beef bouillon poured over 1/2 cup shredded salad greens. The boiling broth will cook the vegetables just enough. Add a dash each hot pepper flakes, onion powder and garlic powder. A few celery leaves are also nice. 15 calories.

Silky Potato soup in 30 minutes from start(peeling potatoes) to finish(on the table) in a pressure cooker

6 med to large potatoes

1 carton of chicken broth

salt and pepper to taste

2T olive oil

1 onion chopped

cup of chopped carrots

2 cloves a garlic

celery leaves, about half cup(optional)

small red and yellow bell pepper (optional) or red poblano pepper (optional)

8 oz cream cheese

Saute the onions, carrots, garlic celery(peppers if added) until the onions are transparent but not browned in olive oil. While that is working, peel potatoes. Add broth to sauteed veggies, cut up potatoes and add. The potatoes should be wading a little in the broth, not really floating. Turn heat to high and let the broth warm up to almost boiling, put pressure cooker top on and once steaming, lower heat to a nice medium sound(probably best to go by the directions of your pressure cooker). Start timer for 6 minutes. Quick cool after cook time, stir in cream cheese. When you do this the potatoes fall apart and make a very velvety soup....You can make this soup on the stove top without a pressure cooker, but, I've found the pressure cooker is fool proof...

I never make this soup the same, i always experiment with adding things i have on hand at the time. Some times i add more pepper, its good with a little fire. Bacon is good. The only thing that can go wrong is too much liquid. If this happens, if you have some dehydrated potatoes on hand, you can add a little at a time until its where you want it.

Mashed Beans

12 or so ounces strong stock, fortified with any meat jelly you might have on hand

1 can fat white butter beans

1 heaping tablespoon tomato paste

1 heaping tablespoon pesto

Heat stock and beans, with bean can juice, until it smells good. As it heats, mash beans against the side of the pot with a fork and stir the mashed beans back in. When it's hot and most of the beans are mashed, stir in tomato and pesto. When you can smell the hot pesto, it's time to eat.

Hot Pumpkin

1 can pumpkin

3 cups of apple juice, broth, or water

2 cloves garlic, mashed or minced

Good pinch of powdered ginger

Good pinch of dry mustard

1-2 yellow onions, minced or pureed

oil or bacon fat to cook onions

1/2 cup hot salsa

In soup pot, melt the onions and garlic in hot fat until brown and sweet. Cut the heat to simmer. Add one of the cups of liquid. Open both ends of the pumpkin can and push contents into water before it's hot enough to hurt when it splashes. Add the rest of the liquid, and stir. When it smells done, stir in the salsa. Let it simmer a couple more minutes, and serve. It's good with a dollop of sour cream to top each bowl.

Creamy Onion

1/2 stick butter

1 yellow onion, chopped

2 cups stock

1 cup dried onion, crushed to roughly "mince" size

salt and pepper

1 4-oz can evaporated milk, or powdered milk mixed double-thick

Grind most of the dried onion to powder.

Melt chopped onion in half your butter. Add stock, then dried onion. Stir together and simmer for half an hour at least. Add salt and pepper until it tastes right. Stir in milk and rest of butter and simmer a few more minutes. If you have sour cream or yogurt, a dollop of that's a good thing to stir in at the last minute.

• 1 month later...

Here is how I make my favorite Butternut Squash Cream Soup. It is soooo good!

Take 2 butternut squash, cut them down the middle and take out all the seeds. Drizzle some olive oil on a baking sheet with sides. Sprinkle that with salt. I like to use Sea Salt in a grinder. Place the squash halves meat side down on the oil and salt and bake in the oven until soft, about 45 minutes. Take out and let cool. Once they are cool, scoop out all the squash and set aside. (You can even stop there, put it in the fridge and finish the recipe the next day. It keeps fine.)

Now take out 2 packs of cream cheese and let them start to come down to room temp. Mince a small onion. Put onion in a skillet with a little bit of garlic and cracked salt and pepper. Cook until the onion and garlic are soft. Now add in the squash. You want to warm it but don't let it boil. Now take some of the squash mixture with some of the softened cream cheese and put it in batches in a food processor or a blender. Blend until creamy. Continue until all squash and cream cheese has been blended together.

This makes a really thick, smooth soup and it is very filling. It will keep in the fridge for quite a while with no problem.

Archived