MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

chicken....raw packed or cooked???

kimba

This is my first time canning chicken. Which gives a better end result (flavor wise) raw packing and processing chicken or cooking the chicken first and the processing.

Any help will be appreciated!!

Thanks!!

Thanks John!

My canner only came with the times and pressure for the cooked and I haven't received my Blue book yet. Would you happen to know the time and pressure?

Oh - I'm like ..oh I don't know...6 feet above sea level (LOL) - if that matters.

Thanks All!!!

I plan on doing the chicken tomorrow...wish me luck!!

Kimba,

I pack mine raw, but add boiling broth. The flavor is great and the chicken just falls apart. The broth is nice since it gives you some for thickening for gravy, for a chicken pot pie, or for making soup.

The times are the same for packing and adding broth as it is for plain raw pack. The Ball Blue book has the info for the pack in hot broth. I highly recommend this method.

You can use the link sent to you and it will give you the processing times, etc.

Oh, and I use boneless skinless chicken. I prefer the dark meat. White meat is good, too, but I like the dark meat.

I did it!!! :woohoo:

They jars are ping-ing away and the chicken looks good!!!

Thanks to you all for your help! I'll admit that at first the rattling and steam scared me a bit. But soon I was ok with it.

I will definitely be canning more!!

Archived