MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

my canner blew up! (almost)

NanaX2

while canning my second batch of Violet's chicken soup, my canner sounded like it blew up!! Steam was spewing everywhere, water going every which way and the flame on my gas stove was jumping up!!

I got to the stove to trun off the heat and then ducked behind the kitchen table for fear of what would happen next. The thing cooled down enough to let the pressure off and I opened the lid to see what was going on and there it was-a lid had completely blown off one the jars.

I phoned Jarden brands to find out how to proceed from here and they said either freeze the soup or re-can, starting from the very beginning.

I think I will refridgerate the soup and start over tomorrow. Good grief, what a fright!

Oh Nana, that sounds so scarry! I am glad you are safe. What type canner do you have? Maybe the jar lid that came off was blocking the vent or pressure tube hole causing the excessive pressure build-up. Glad you are ok. How's your blood pressure? Mine would be thru the roof! pigz

Oh, goodness ! Well, where was the steam coming from ? From the vent pipe or the gasket around the canner ? Need more info to help trouble shoot the problem. You vented for the full 10 min. before you put the weight or counterweight on, right ?

Was the over pressure plug in correctly or is it worn out ?

Sounds like a catastrophic blow-out from a jar where the lid was on too tight, but that sure doesn't explain all the steam coming out from everywhere. I agree with Violet that something else was going on that needs to be learned so it doesn't happen again.

the lady at Jarden said I had tightened the jar lid too tight, so I am assuming that was the cause of the blown jar lid. As far as the steam spewing out everywhere, I'm not sure if it was out only from the vent tube or also from the gasket. The over pressure plug did not blow. I wonder if part of the steam was from the spewing hitting the flame of my gas stove. Anyway, I've decided to just freeze the soup mix today and try canning water only to see if it happens again. Wish my luck!

Oh, Pigzilla, it is an older Mirro matic I inherited from my MIL. I've used it several times with no problem before, so who knows what happened. I just recently replaced the gasket so I know that is not the problem.

ANd Violet, I did vent it with a nice steady stream of steam for the full 10 minutes before putting the weight on, so it is not that either. Any more ideas or suggestions? Help!

Personally I would do a test run with just water in the canner and see if it goes through the entire process without acting up (again). The recent change of the gasket may be suspect. Make sure there is no contamination under/on the gasket that would allow steam to escape.

I assume too that you still had water in the canner when you opened it and that it did not boil dry, or that you were heating the canner too much after it reached pressure.

The vent pipe may have gotten plugged when the jar lid did that. Run something down the vent pipe and be sure it is good and clean. A piece of cotton kitchen twine or even dental floss and floss it clean.

Then I would check the gasket and see if it is in properly. You are not oiling that gasket are you ? It will make the rubber seal fall apart. The new compounds should not be oiled.

Then, I would just put the 2 to 3 inches of water in there and take it for a test run. Vent it, put the weight on. Build the pressure and see if the weight jiggles as it should.

Good luck !

Canned Nerd: there was plenty of water in the canner plus all the broth and part of the soup mix(chicken & veggies) in the canner when I opened it,so that was not the problem. Also, I turned the heat down to the level that I always use to keep the weight properly rocking, so that was not it either. But....

Violet mentioned not to oil the gasket and I did! so that may be part of the problem. The instructions on the Mirro gasket I bought states to soak gasket in haot water 10 to 15 min before using. Rinse and dry. Lubricate gasket lightly with cooking oil the first 2 or 3 times only. That is what I did, so I will definately not oil it anymore(only did it once). Maybe that was the problem.

Anyway, I will try the water only test, once I work up my nerve again!! :blush:

Thanks for all your kind help everyone, I really appreciate it!

Oh my gosh - you poor thing! What a scary thing to happen! I'm so glad you found your trouble spot.

Violet is right - the oil shouldn't be. Sometimes the manufacturers don't think - their instructions are YEARS old and should be linked and updated with the University of Georgia website, but no one thinks of that.

I'm so glad you and your kitchen are safe. :)

:bighug2::bighug2::bighug2:

Nana, I have 2 of the older Mirros, both 22 qt. My "oldest" was made in 1978 and the "newest" 1980. They are both very reliable. I just wish I could justify getting an A.A. but as long as the "girls" do their job, they stay....pigzzilla

Archived