MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Is this a good (cheap) dehydrator?

Carmen

No, it is not worth bringing home. Sorry.

Don't get a clear one like that, either. Be sure it is opaque, has a good fan, a heat source, and adjustable thermostat. Otherwise it will not be safe to use for jerky, and even fruits and veggies can mold or spoil before they are done. Stick with the Nesco/ American Harvest is my 2 cents worth . That or if you get really lucky, you may get an Excalibur. I actully prefer my American Harvest since I can stack up to 12 trays. I own 2 of them.

No fan on it, just your heat source they are SLOW and you have to rotate the trays per the order in the instruction manual. I actually dropped ours early last canning season and it shattered at the heat element. We just picked up a Cabela's brand (store is less than 30 miles from the house) that I'm getting ready to use this week.

Thanks for the input..we didn't get it. My husband relaly likes the idea of canning, and thinks we should wait until we can get an Excalibur. Which of course, I'm glad he's so supportive, the problem is we really can't afford it until Christmas...so we'll miss canning anything this season:(

Violet, I have the Nesco American Harvest snack master which is clear. Is it any good?

It is fair. It has no adjustable thermostat that I can see. It is really important if you want to make jerky that it gets at least 140 degrees. Higher is preferable for jerky.

You will need to put an instant read thermometer between the racks to see how hot it is. If it is not that hot it will not be safe for jerky. Fruits and veggies may take longer to dry, depending upon the temp.

If you want to dry herbs it may be too hot.

Plus with the clear racks you lose nutrients as it dries. Also, color in the foods are not as good since the light gets to them.

They have a wonderful deal on one now on Amazon. 700 watts, opaque, adj. thermostat up to 160 degrees. All you need for only $41 that included shipping ! We just ordered one for a gift for someone. It is better than the dryers I have ! Mine only go up to 140 degrees. Mine is only 500 watts, too. I was going to get the 500 watt for $39 here, but the one I found on Amazon was an amazing deal ! If I got the one here I would have had to pay for shipping, too. You can stack up to 12 trays on it, too. The one you got only goes up to 7.

Archived