MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Pork Loin - Canning

YYY

Hi Everybody,

I see that Safeway has Pork Loin on sale for $1.99/pound. Very good price around here.

I would like to can some. I am assuming that I should cut the roll into about 1/2" slices, put raw slices into jars, add 1/2 teaspoon salt to pint jars, cover with boiling water and process the pints for 75 minutes. I'm I correct in assuming this?

Any suggestions for other seasonings?

Any recipes for when I open the jar would be appreciated.

Thanks,

YYY

I have canned pork loin, but probably won't again. We like it okay, but just not enough to keep doing it. I found it looked better and tasted a little better to brown the chunks before canning. We eat it most often with BBQ sauce over it, but sometimes gravy over it. Matter of taste I'm sure.

Why 'assume' when the specific instructions on how to do it properly are so readily available online at NCHFP? ;)

How to can pork - NCHFP

Note that slices are not recommended. Slices tend to stockpile in stacks in the jar and that can interfere with safe processing heat penetration. And it will have more flavor if canned in broth rather than plain water.

I can pork loin all the time. I use it mostly for bar-b-qued sandwiches and making gravy over biscuits, toast or mashed potatoes. DH thinks it's really good. I've used it in fajitas too.

As to spices, I spice it up when I open the jar so I can flavor it for whatever I'm using it for.

Hi again Everybody,

Sorry for the delay, but thank you for your replies. I guess what I wanted was little fried pork chops with gravy. I think I will still try one roll and see how it turns out.

Thanks again

YYY

You are not going to be able to can anything that resembles pork chops in gravy. There isn't a safe method to do that, and also, pressure canning will not make the meat like fried meats. It is like roasted meats instead.

I personally think the pork loin too lean and will be dry like in texture. It is best frozen.

I decided to cook a jar of pork loin today and see what I thought about it with actually trying to figure out what it tastes and "behaves" like. Ok, have you had creamed chicken on toast, potatoes or some such? That's exactly the texture you get and the flavor is good also.

I opened the jar, put it in a pan on the stove and added a little milk and corn starch. Salt and peppered to taste and fed it to DH over potatoes, along with tomatoes, cottage cheese and pumpkin pie. I asked DH what he thought of his potatoes and gravy and he said, it's delicious. We haven't had that since last winter! He was right, it's a winter meal not summer.

So, I'm not trying to talk you into it but letting you know it's well liked here. :)

Archived