MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Black eyed peas...................

How on to your hats everybody......................

Michael is about to make statement! :woohoo:

............................... I didn't know this about Black-eyed-peas! :knary:

Did you know you can sprout them -just like mung beans and radish seeds and all the other things we sprout? :shrug:

was visiting a Amish Friend and she had sprouts going in jars so I went to take a look as I just started mung beans for the weekend.

AND there in the middle jar was...................... Black-eyed-peas! :thumbs:

You can't sprout Black-eyed-peas can you , I asked?

Here try some..man were they GOOD! nutty flaver says Michael or kind of like snow peas says Lori.

anybody do these before .........AND NOT tell me! :tapfoot:

:AmishMichael2:

OK so here is the best part...................

I soaked the dry beans (NOT a seed pack by the way)in my sprouter, covered in water for about 3 1/2 hours and they had sucked up most of the water and were spliting already.

So I ate one.................. and it was soft and nutty tasting.

Willl wait until tomarrow to see the sprouts and use them in a salad. but I can't stop eating them now!

:AmishMichael2:

I never found a black eyed pea that I liked!

Heresy!! ;)

Ever had Hoppin' John? Fantastic!

1 1/2 cups dry black-eyed peas

1 pound ham hocks

1 onion, chopped

1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes

salt and pepper to taste

4 cups water

1 1/2 cups long-grain white rice

1 cup shredded smoked Cheddar cheese

In a large pan place the peas, ham hock, onion, red pepper, salt and pepper. Cover with water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 1 1/2 hours. Remove ham hock and cut meat into pieces. Return meat to pot. Stir in the rice, cover and cook until rice is tender, about 20 to 25 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Sprinkle shredded cheese over top, if desired.

Sure. Turkey or chicken either one. You can sub chicken broth for the water too. You can also do it vegetarian and add celery or carrots diced or other veggies of choice. You can also easily make it hotter with dried chili peppers. If black-eyed peas still don't appeal try pink-eye purple hulls. They have a creamier texture that appeals to many.

Archived